Original: Chapter 8 - Date?

Sophia's POV:

I finished work relatively quickly so Noah said that I could sit in the corner of his office reading a book since he will be taking me home from now on.

I had no choice but to read a business magazine that Noah had on his desk; I'll have to remember to bring a real book tomorrow. I used to love reading, I had a couple of classic novels which were given to me as a graduation present from my uncle. I loved those books but I had to sell them to pay for rent on the apartment; they didn't sell for a lot but it was enough to cover a couple months of rent.

I don't like to think of what I lost, I only think to the future. If I didn't have to sell those books I wouldn't be where I am today, with a (hopefully) stable job which is the door to my journalism career.

I flicked through the magazine looking for anything that wasn't about about brief cases and business type things until I came across the richest bachelors in America section. It counted down from 10 and to no surprise at number 1 was the man sitting less that 10 feet away from me.

There was a short description about each of the men, but none of them interested me except Noah's. I wasn't interested in any of the other sexy bachelors, I only cared about my boss. I sat there staring at his picture; it was nothing like I had seen before, he was smiling and he looked happy but for some reason I know that its all a facade.

The way that Noah acts around me, the look in his eyes when he confessed, -or what ever you called that- the kiss we shared, I could feel it every time there is a pain that he is suppressing.

I found myself staring at this photograph for ages, I knew this because Noah startled me saying that it was time to leave. I hope he didn't see me staring at his picture because I know he can't feel the same way.

We got in his car and once again the journey was a silent one, well until we pulled up into the garage.

"Sophia" Noah said and turned the engine off, shifting in his seat to face me.

"Yes sir?"

"My fiance Brooke is out of town this weekend and there is a gala I have to attend, so I would like you to come with me" Noah said which took me a bit by surprise.

"Do I have a choice or is this business related?" I asked not wanting to spend the whole weekend alone with him.

"Well both, I need someone there to write notes but also someone people will believe to be a family member. As Brooke can't go with me I have said that you are my cousin, after all we have the same hair colour so it should be believable. If you don't want to go I fully understand" He smiled, this being the most he had ever said to me in one go.

"No no it's fine, I will go with you" I agreed feeling slightly sorry for him. It must be hard on him that his future wife is never around maybe that's why he kissed me, he has no love or affection and he feels lonely. 

"Thank you Sophia" Noah and I exited the car and headed towards the elevator. As soon as we both got into the apartment we went our separate ways. I went into my room to finish the last couple of boxes I had left to unpack; I guess Noah went into his study to work since I heard a lot of business phone calls from my room.

My stomach growled at me indicating it needed sustenance; all of this unpacking is hard work. I padded into the kitchen lazily and whipped up some omelettes for myself and Noah. I don't know much about what food he likes, what his hobbies are; to be honest I don't really know anything about him.

Once again Noah came into the kitchen just by the smell of the food, or maybe it was the frying pan hitting the ground when I dropped it and squealed because it fell on my toe. 

He was still on the phone so I placed a plate in front of him and indicated that it was his. He smiled again- that's the third time today- and began to eat. I sat down beside him leaving one stool between us and ate my own omelette.

I remember the same taste from when I was younger; sometimes my mother before she died would take me to the cinema and we would have McDonald's for lunch.

We would browse the shops looking for clothes and just now it came to my realisation that we never bought anything, because we couldn't afford it. When we got home my mother would always make me an omelette ensuring that I had food in my system before I went to bed.

I cleaned up the dishes and went into my room to search for my books, I know I left them in one of the boxes of junk I didn't need to unpack but which box is the question.

I searched for around 10 minutes but I still couldn't find the box, maybe it was left in Noah's car. I debated with myself whether to go and ask him, and eventually I decided to; whats the worst that can happen.

"Noah" I said knocking on his study door, he opened the door and gestured for me to come in "Have I left a box full with books in your car?"

"Umm follow me" Noah replied rubbing the back of his neck again (something he does when he is embarrassed) and left his study. At the end of the hall there was a locked door. Noah took his keys out of his pocket, unlocked it and pushed the door wide open. In front of me was the most organised library I had ever seen, filled to the top with all sorts of books.

In the centre of the library was a desk, with a gold lamp on top. There was also a black longer and a couple of black beanbags. 

"I put you're books in here since I kicked the box every time I entered the kitchen" Noah said and pointed to a shelf on the left. "You can choose any book to read, here is the key just come in and get one when ever" Noah turned around and left the room.

"Noah.." I called and he turned back around "..Thank you, for everything"

"It's my pleasure Sophia" He nodded slightly and then vanished down the hall.

One day he is happy, the next he is angry and the next he is caring. I physically can't keep up with him. I guess I will have to wait and see what he's like when his fiance or whatever Brooke is to get back from Paris. Has he told her about my living here? That couldn't have gone down too well; maybe she is understanding and kind?

I chose a book I have never read before and went back to my room to read a couple of chapters. The rest of the night Noah stayed in his room and I stayed in mine. This is how it was until Friday when we were forced to speak to one another.

"Sophia" Noah called from the kitchen "Could you come out here please?"

I walk sluggishly into the kitchen hoping he will not mock me for wearing my cookie monster pj pants. "Yes Sir"

"I have scheduled you an appointment at the hair dressers tomorrow and a gown fitting to prepare you for the gala on Saturday evening" Noah said taking me by surprise "Choose what ever you will feel the most comfortable in, money is no issue just put it on my card" He handed me a gold coloured bank card.

"Thank you Sir, will that be all?" I asked wanting to go back to my comfy bed

"Yes" Noah replied with a slightly depressed tone, was he upset I didn't want to talk to him more? I turned on my heel and headed back to my room "Oh and Sophia...It's Noah not Sir"

I nodded and quickened the pace to my room locking the door behind me. This living together is going to be a hell of a confusing few months.