Original: Chapter 47 - Fear

Noah's POV

I kept my eyes on the road and didn't say a word the whole car ride back to Lia's apartment. The Noah before all of this happened wouldn't have cared about her feelings, yes she was my friend from years ago but since college, I had changed; but now I feel like I'm back to who I want to be- the Noah who I should never have strayed from.

"Lia I can't begin to thank you enough for helping me," I said as I pulled up outside her building.

"...I don't think I can do this..." she whispered, clearly feeling useless.

I kept quiet, I need her and can't risk throwing everything away if I say the wrong thing. It wouldn't be right to manipulate or force her to continue with the plan, again the old me would have had no problem with that.

"...he tried to force himself onto me just like Sophia and who knows how many others. He needs to be punished but I'm...well I'm scared. If something goes wrong...if he gets away..." she was starting to panic, "he'll come after me...he'll get to my fam-"

I cut her off by gripping her hand that was resting on her leg, "Lia I'm not going anywhere, I will protect you regardless of what happens. I know I couldn't protect Sophia when she needed it but now I have what I need to take that motherfucker down, and truth be told I can't do it alone. You know I've never been one to ask for help when I need it but honestly Lia, I can't do this without you. I need my best friend."

"Can I sleep on it?" She asked and I nodded. "What would...well what would our next step be?"

"I guess the next move would be to track him, see where he goes. From the information I've been given by my PI, Brad has been involved in drug trading under the radar which goes through the Police station undetected. If we can locate the base of operations, that info along with the recording you got should be enough to incriminate him, and if not we'll keep trying."

"So what you're saying is that we have to hope he buys or sells drugs within the next couple of days, and if not the proof I gathered is useless?" She said.

I shrugged in reply and there was an awkward silence.

"It's late, thanks for the ride. I need to speak to my girlfriend and try to explain some of what she saw today. I'll talk to you tomorrow, okay?"

We said our goodbyes and I drove back to my apartment.

It got later and later as I laid in bed tossing and turning unable to sleep. Every time I closed my eyes I could see her staring back at me after I confessed my true feelings at the hotel. She doesn't know what's going on with Brad and it's best that she doesn't- for her own safety.

I've had my suspicions about what his plans are. The only logical move for him is to drug Sophia and take her to a foreign country far away from here. He can do whatever he wants with her; marry, torture, he can do anything and that's what I'm afraid of.

I've never been one to admit my fears because quite frankly there's not a lot that I am scared of, failure maybe, but that's it. Now Sophia being in danger is my second, so I guess it's my biggest fear.

I picked up my phone from my nightstand and scrolled through my recent calls. The icon showed 26 missed calls all from my younger sister. Not one member of my family has managed to get in contact with me since the night I practically dragged Sophia out of their lives.

It's been almost a week since I have spoken to anyone other than a couple of my employees and Lia. Mother is going to kill me once I get back in contact...I guess that's another fear of mine- upsetting my mother. She has always been there for me and not only because she is my mother, she supports everything I do. Some may say that she is my number one fan, but how can you have 'fans' if you are a terrible role model.