Chapter Thirty-Two

The afternoon sun was absorbed into Sophia's skin as she lay on the deck chair, fast asleep. A pair of thick sunglasses sat on her nose and James' baseball cap was pulled low on her head. It was Sophia's twenty-fifth birthday, and that was the way she wanted to spend it. The McKenzies were unaware it was her birthday, she'd kept it to herself. Birthdays reminded her of the family meals her mother would prepare specific to whose birthday it was. Each birthday, Sophia requested tacos and her mother always complied, preparing a large enough meal to make sure there were leftovers for her lunch the next day. After her mother died, she tried to keep the tradition alive, but she broke down even by just the smell and hadn't eaten them since.

Soft singing began and travelled through the air to Sophia's sleeping ears. The quiet singing got louder and louder, waking her from her sleep. She blinked a couple of times, adjusting to the bright light and her eyes first fell upon the fondant covered cake with twenty-five lit candles spiking from the top. A small smile, barely visible formed on her lips as the birthday song ended. She pushed herself into a sitting position and took the cake from Kelly. Sophia blew on the candles.

"Did you make a wish?" Kelly asked and Sophia nodded. She had made a wish, and it was for exactly what she was experiencing at that moment - a loving family.

"How did you know it was my birthday?" They all turned to Alan, whose face reddened slightly at the spotlight. He shrugged and then walked off without a word. He was still adjusting to Sophia living in the McKenzie house, and it was hard for him, but he knew he had to do it for Jaqueline. His mother had made her a promise that he intended to keep.

They made their way back into the house and Sophia slid the cake onto the counter. Sherry produced a small bag containing Sophia's gift. Her heart tightened as Sherry handed her the bag, it was the first birthday present she'd received in a long time. Sophia slipped her hand inside and her fingers brushed against a fairly large leather box. As she carefully pushed open the lid an alluring charm bracelet stared back at her. The rose gold bracelet was filled with four charms, two of which matched and stopped others from falling off. The other two were personal, a small heart with the number 25 engraved in small cursive hung from the gold band and the other was a heart with the words best friend engraved onto it. Sophia knew the second charm was from Kelly and she was sure it cost their family a small fortune. She immediately asked Sherry to help her put it on. Once it was secured, she twisted her wrist, admiring the gift and then thanked and hugged each of those around her.

Sophia then excused herself to find Mr McKenzie. She needed to thank him also and knew that it couldn't wait until later. As she knocked lightly on the study door, he beckoned her in while his phone was still pressed to his ear and held up his finger to say one minute. True to his word, a minute later he ended the phone call and leant forward on his desk. "Happy birthday." the corner of his mouth turned up ever so slightly.

"I wanted to thank you for the gift."

"No problem."

She was standing awkwardly by the door and was about to make her exit after the awkward conversation when Alan asked her to sit. She took the seat opposite his desk, which he was sat behind. He stared at her for a moment trying to find the right words. His mouth opened as if he were about to speak but then he closed it and took in a deep breath reaching into his desk drawer. Once again he opened his mouth, ready to speak, but this time was interrupted by his daughter barging into the office.

"Dad, is it okay if me, Sophia and Jack go out to celebrate her birthday?" Alan nodded and told her that was fine. Sherry then burst into the office, clearly listening to the conversation from outside.

"Jackson is not going with you. He came in at three a.m.-"

"Mom!" Jack stormed into the study. "It was over a week ago. I've learnt my lesson."