Chapter Sixteen

"Hey beautiful," Jackson, Noah's brother said as he pulled out a chair across from Sophia and took a seat next to his sister. "You look great."

Mrs McKenzie gave her youngest son an intense stare, and as he reached into the middle of the table for a bread roll, she swatted his hand away.

"Will you just wait for your father!" She scolded her twenty-two-year-old son, who muttered a sorry before sinking into his chair in embarrassment. As if on cue, Mr McKenzie and Noah walked into the dining room and took their seats. Noah sat to Sophia's left while his father sat at the head of the table opposite his wife, who had worked ever so hard to prepare the meal laid out in front of them.

Mr McKenzie didn't acknowledge Sophia's presence as he sat, and was the first to dig into the food prepared on the table without waiting for anyone else to get settled. Unlike the last time Sophia sat around a table with the McKenzies, there was no dinner conversation, which made her feel less awkward. She most definitely didn't want a repeat of the last time.

After dessert, Sophia excused herself to use the bathroom. When she returned, no-one was in sight, the table had been cleared and Mrs McKenzie was busy in the kitchen putting leftovers into plastic containers. "I'm sorry lunch was so awkward, I don't know what has gotten into my husband recently." Mrs McKenzie didn't turn around while speaking, and it was as if she knew Sophia was lurking in the doorway.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" She approached the older woman and offered to wash the dishes.

Sherry gave her a grateful smile but refused. "Thank you for the offer, but I don't think my son would be happy if I kept you all to myself. Noah is waiting for you on the patio." Sophia spotted Noah leaning against the railing on the patio and she made her way to him, but just as she was about to open the door, Sherry caught her attention. "Be careful out there, the forecast said there may be a thunderstorm this afternoon."

After leaving the kitchen and walking through the large exit leading out onto the decking, it gave Sophia the perfect opportunity to admire the handsome man in his element. His forearms were rested on the railing as he looked out over the lake at the bottom of the garden. The closer Sophia got, the louder her footsteps were, though Noah still didn't turn around. She stood by his side, mimicking his body language as they admired the view of the perfectly looked after garden and the calm lake at the end. Finally, Noah spoke. "Come. I want to show you the boathouse," he said and picked up a wicker basket that was on the floor by his feet.

The pathway leading to the boathouse took them on a scenic tour of the garden. The beautifully trimmed hedges lined the path and had elegant, delicate flowers lining the stems. The couple passed by the fountain, which momentarily made Sophia's heart skip a beat as she recalled their first kiss. She glanced up at Noah, wondering if he'd remembered that moment too but to her disappointment, she guessed that for him it was simply another item in his parent's estate.

Though the fountain did have the same effect on Noah; he found himself better at guarding his feelings than most people.

"I grew up here from the age of seven," Noah confessed. "Every weekend I'd paddle out onto the lake and watch the sunset. I thought we could do the same." He glanced down at his watch. "Although it is a little early."

Across the garden was a structure which the two were nearing, the boathouse. The wooden building was painted a deep shade of red and green, giving it an older Victorian look. The sheer size of the building was large enough to fit Sophia's old apartment inside twice, and it was in that moment that she realised how truly fortunate their family was. "After you." Noah held open the entrance door into the lower level of the boathouse. As Sophia passed Noah, an involuntary gasp escaped through her lips at the sight. From top to bottom, wooden panels decorated the floor. The walls had some with different shades to break up the colouring and it was evident that the boathouse was one area Sherry was particularly fond of. On the right of the boathouse were two large openings, leading out onto the lake itself. One opening housed two jet-skis and the other a small boat. Her eyes drifted across the interior, taking in the décor, until they landed on a spiral staircase leading to an area above.