Chapter Twenty

As Jasmine's last night came and went, she packed her bag and set it by the front door. "I thought you'd have forgiven me by now, it's not like I went through your things."

"It's about principle Jas, you just don't do that."

"I'm sorry, okay? Just talk to me. I couldn't imagine anything worse than leaving without you forgiving me. I don't know when we'll see each other next," Jasmine whined, but was soon shut down by the notification that sounded on her phone. Then a second later, the same popped up on Sophia's. It was a news app, more specifically a celebrity news app, and there was breaking news.

'Billionaire caught cuddling in Milan'

Without a second thought, both women clicked on the article; they'd always had a fascination with keeping up to date with celebrity news, but for very different reasons. Sophia took interest in the types of articles written, how they were presented to keep the reader hooked and fool their audience, whereas Jasmine was plain and simply interested in the gossip. It was something she'd make small talk about at the hair salon.

"Is that..." Front and centre of the article was Noah McKenzie, his arm hooked around a familiar red-head's waist. Their bodies were close as they walked into a hotel, his hand rested on her lower back, dangerously low. "His ex-fiancée?"

"Yeah..." Sophia's voice was quiet, as if she'd just been staked through the heart. But through all that pain, there was only one person she wanted to talk to and strangely enough, it wasn't her best friend, who was stood across the room. It was the younger sister of the man who made her feel that way because, for some unknown reason, Sophia knew that Kelly would understand and tell her why he was in Milan.

Sophia dialled a phone number, held the phone to her ear, and after the second ring, Kelly unsurprisingly picked up. She and Sophia had been texting back and forth over the past week while Noah had been away. "I've just seen it. I'm sending our driver to come and get you." She was just able to mutter an 'okay' before the line went dead.

"Where are you going?" Jasmine said as she watched her friend pile her purse, phone and keys into a handbag.

"We're going to the McKenzie's house."

*

Kelly greeted the women at the front door, a little taken aback that there were two rather just one going to visit. "You must be Jasmine." She released Sophia from her embrace and then latched onto the other woman. "I saw the article," Kelly said as they walked through the elegant hallway, past the stairs and into the living room. "Honestly, I don't believe it." She shook her head in disappointment.

"I do," Sophia shrugged. "I heard him talking on the phone with someone the night before he left. He said 'she doesn't suspect a thing'. I'm guessing that's about me, but I don't know..."

"Sophia is that you?" Mrs McKenzie strolled into the room carrying a tray of lemonade after hearing Sophia's voice. "What are you doing here?"

"I invited them over. Is that okay?" Kelly asked.

Sherry nodded. "Who's this?"

"Oh sorry, this is my friend Jasmine. She's staying with me while Noah is away."

"It's nice to meet you, Mrs McKenzie, your house is amazing!" Jasmine grinned.

"I like her already," Sherry said with a grateful smile, placed a few cups and a jug of lemonade onto the table and then left the room, leaving the girls to continue their conversation.

"It's not unusual for Noah to keep secrets." Kelly tried to defend her brother, even though deep down she knew he was in the wrong.

"I know, but it's just all so confusing. He shows me one thing but what he tells me is so different. I think it's probably best if I find another job and apartment before he gets back and cut ties with him completely."

"You can't. At least not until you're sure that he's in Milan on vacation with Brooke. There might be a logical explanation for everything. I mean, yeah, it looks bad right now but you can't jump to conclusions. Besides, I can't lose a friend," Kelly told Sophia, who was grateful for the advice. She needed a bit of reassurance that everything she'd gone through to get to where she was wasn't a waste of time.

She didn't want to have to run again - she'd been running for three years and was sick and tired of always looking over her shoulder. If her conclusion turned out to be the truth then she'd spend the rest of her year trying to get over a man who was never hers. Ever since Noah left for Milan, she'd seen his picture everywhere on magazines as she was walking to work that were headlined the most eligible bachelor in New York City. Everywhere she turned she was reminded of him. Passing by the same pink building each morning reminded her of the car journey they took to work. The familiar green bus stop outside MKT reminded her of the time Noah demanded he give her a ride home as he held up the traffic. From a small leaf floating down in front of her to a car model similar to one of Noah's, Sophia was reminded of him and she knew that if there were any truth in her suspicions, the only way to escape her feelings would be to leave entirely and move halfway across the country.

But it'd mean starting fresh again, finding an apartment to live in and finding a new job. Sophia wasn't afraid of starting again, but she was afraid of losing the friendships she'd built. She kept her distance from people through most of her college years, but that wasn't by choice. After losing all of her family, she'd been sceptical of building a relationship with someone, whether that be a romantic relationship or a friendship. Then she'd met Brad, who'd promised her he'd never leave, swore he was the one for her. But what she didn't realise was that their relationship was moving way too fast. Within a month of them being together, Sophia had fallen head over heels for him. He was her saving grace, he cared about her - and so when he asked her to move in a short two months after being exclusive, she'd jumped at the opportunity, as it meant she wouldn't have to pay dorm fees. Living in an apartment with Brad was more affordable. Then one morning she woke with excruciating pain in her side and that's when her eyes had finally been opened. Lifting her thin cotton nightshirt she saw a purple-black bruise. The memories of the night before flooded into her mind: they'd been drinking. A few of his friends were over at their apartment... she'd only had a couple of drinks, her mind was hazy, she couldn't think straight... she collapsed onto the bed barely keeping her eyes open... Brad walked in, slowly crawling along the bed towards her... he tugged on her jeans...

And that was how at aged twenty-one... Sophia Jenkins lost her virginity.

Her phone vibrated in her bag and she reached for it, hoping it would be Noah wanting to explain himself, apologise for everything. He was the first man she'd trusted since college, he'd never harmed her in any way but she'd jumped too soon. The same as before and she hated herself for it. It was an unknown number. She didn't answer those so she declined the call and slid the phone onto the table.

A second later the ringing started again, and Sophia did the same: read the number - it was the same as before - and ended the call. Halfway through their continued conversation the phone rang again. It was the third time, but before Sophia had a chance to decline it once again, Kelly reached over, scooped up the device and clicked the green button.

"Hello?" Kelly said into the phone. "Sorry, who is this?" Waiting for a reply felt like an eternity but by the expression that spread across Kelly's face, Sophia knew she'd have a lot of explaining to do. Kelly turned to Sophia, hatred in her eyes as she spoke words filled with venom. "Your boyfriend says it's time to come home." 

--------
Hi everyone! 
Thanks for reading! I thought I'd upload a chapter today as we're all in lockdown with nothing to do.
Please leave comments and votes they help me out a lot :)

Stay safe!

-Sophi x