Chapter 19 - My Mother

Trigger warning: Death mention, crying
Also, I realised I hadn't made a design for Yvette so I drew what she'd kinda look like since there's no actual character description of her.

Fun fact! Yvette's class doesn't know that Patton, their teacher adopted her and those two weren't planning on telling them anytime soon. Based on this information can you guess how 'bring your parent to school day' went? No? Alright, I'll tell you.

Yvette was brushing up on some math homework that had been set the other night since there was an assessment coming up soon.

Patton on the other hand, was sitting in their living room with the tv yammering on about anything in the background as he held his head up with the arm resting on the sofa.

The event was one that was being held all throughout the school, it was a test run per say. It was designed to present to children career paths for the future through real people, and what other way than their own parents. I mean, it's free and we all know how under funded the schools are. But, since Yvette only had Patton they were in a bit of a struggle.

Logan at the moment was at a job interview for a classic desk job nearby. Since he was unemployed due to the flower shop closing down, he'd rather not be picky about the job. A job was a job, and that's all that really mattered to Logan, plus it'd occupy his free time when Yvette and Patton weren't home.

"What on Earth can I do about this...?" Patton asked himself as his eyes blankly stared at the screen in front of him. Who knows what the channel was playing that day.

The front door opened whilst Logan stepped inside, he was carrying a few bags of things they were running out of and his book bag he left that morning with.

As he took his shoes of the idea came to Patton, "OH YEAH!" He shot up out of his seat as he paced over to where Logan was taking his shoes off.

"Hm?" Logan hummed as he put the shoes away.

"You can pretend to be Yvette's dad for the event at the school in a few days!" He bounced up and down as Logan choked on his own saliva, "Well, if you want to,"

"No, no, no, it's alright, you just took me by surprise," The freckled man cleared his throat as he stood up and walked into the living room with Patton trailing behind him, "I mean, I wouldn't mind, I could talk about the shop,"

"It'd be like one last farewell!" Patton suggested, plopping himself right next to Logan.

He nodded in response as he picked up the remote out of the crack of the sofa, "Are you watching this?"

"Nope!" Patton replied, "Should I go tell Yvette the news?"

Logan's eyes fell towards Patton's hands as his own moved by themselves. Their fingers intertwined themselves making both of their faces flush a red colour. Making the most of the situation he put himself in, he looked back at Patton, "We can tell her over dinner, stay here," he said with a warm smirk.

"Oh! Alright," Patton looked away shyly, "Is it your turn or mine tonight anyway?"

"It's a Thursday so...it's your turn," He told the other as the program 'Sherlock' came on.

Patton chuckled awkwardly knowing he was not going to make anything half as good as Logan, "Man, today's food is gonna suck,"

"Objectively speaking, food cannot suck," Logan said, "But if you mean metaphorically, then no, it won't," gaining the courage to look at the other, they both smiled.

Patton pushed Logan slightly with his free hand, "Awww you're just saying that to be nice,"

"Maybe I am, maybe I am not," Logan spat out between their laughter.