Chapter 73 - Drowsy

Trigger warning: bloody imagery and mention of slitting (only description though)

Sorry about the lack of updates, I'll try to update more often :)

Patton doesn't like caffine often.

Patton had also had 9 cups of coffee and a total of zero hours of sleep and a shit ton of anxiety.

Patton also had to leave the house to bring both kids to school, bring himself to school and then teach an entire class of students that look up to him both literally and metaphorically. It was an understatement to say that Patton was having a shit day already.

However he had managed to cahnge into something different, Yvette made him brush his hair and Janus had to grab the computer and lesson plan because Patton was literally almost about to leave without it.

"Are we all ready?" Patton asked the kids as he held onto his laptop bag like it was the last thing in his life. And because if he didn't, he'd drop it. Getting a fine for breaking a laptop wasn't on his list of the day.

Checking her pockets, Yvette gave a good thumbs up as Janus simply nodded completely sure of himself. "Dad do you have your phone?" Janus asked Patton.

Patting himself down, Patton hopped away to go find his phone again before returning. "Now we're ready,"

In response, Janus gave a thumbs up before they all left to go to work or school.

Since Janus' school was further away than the primary school, the three spilt up when Yvette and Patton reached the school.

It was a murky morning, damp but it hadn't rained, the sky looked like it was about to as it's shadow was cast all across the city in a sorrowful spread. Clouds were fluffy yet felt like they could slit your palm if you even just stroke it gently. Then it would make it rain thick wine from your hand in a beautiful act of betrayal, painting the world with your very essence.

Since the last time I decribed the school, they had repainted the outer walls as they had become green and disgusting. However the inside remained the same: blue carpet, light blue walls. They hadn't even replaced the wobbly chairs, but that's to expect with the budget the education systems have.

"Rough day already Mr Winters?" The receptionist sounded more familiar than the person Patton talked to a while back.

Writting down his own name and Yvette's name, Patton passed back the pen, "Remy? You're back?" Patton asked as Remy took the pen out of Patton's hand.

"In the flesh babes," Remy leaned on his desk, "I managed to finish my course, so I came straight back here," Remy told him. "Only temporarily until I get an interview for a job where my degree will be useful,"

Slightly different than before, Remy had clearly been neglecting the barbers his hair tickling the very bottom of his neck as it's princess curls rolled in every driection. However Remy was  definitely not abandoning his wardrobe. In fact he looked better than before he left the first time he was working at the school. He looked smarter than before, less like a sleep deprived teenager. More like a slightly better dressed, older teenage insomiac.

A beige blazer with a black shirt peered from across the desk as if someone else had dressed him in the morning. He wasn't wearing his sunglasses as it was a dark day so they were tucked neatly into his blazer pocket, dangling down his chest only holding on by the frame.

Taking a good look at Remy, Patton then began to speak, "The- the school is fine with that arrangement?" Patton asked as he adjusted his bag on his shoulder.

A smirk rose upon Remy's face as an eyebrow was raised, "That's a mighty long word you used there Patt, seems that Logan is rubbing off on you," Remy teased with good intention.

Groaning tiredly Patton just simply nodded, "Can you buzz us in? I've got a big lesson I've got planned for the kids today,"

Furrowing his eyebrows together, Remy buzzed them in with an unintentional frown, "Have a good day, both of you," Remy said to them as Yvette waved back politely as Patton simply nodded in response even though he was out of Remy's line of sight.

The classroom was nearby so when Patton sat in his seat, his legs felt heavier as they sunk into the ground. His head felt both light and heavy at the same time but all would be fine.

Nearby, Yvette had already found out where she was sitting so she'd taken out her sketch book and started drawing. She'd kept it in her drawer for a while, only just started using it a few days ago. Pens were neatly crowed together in her pencil case and I'd fear they'd all fall out if she unzipped it.

Attaching his computer to all the wires the school had scattered around, Patton shuffled as the compiter turn on. Rolling up his sleeves, Patton started gently at his arm, as if waiting for a message of any kind from Logan.

Grabbing a pen from the pot on his desk, Patton clicked it on. Lingering over his arm, Patton didn't blink as he watched nothing. Bringing the pen lower towards his arm, his eyes followed, his breathing being the only thing he could hear as he very slowly brought the ink down. A deep, sharp breath squeeled through his ears as the tip of the pen meerly poked his skin slightly.

Sighing, Patton gently rolled the pen away as he laid onto his arms. Dipping his head to the side as he checked up on the computer that was still loading. Turning his head, Patton gazed towards where his daughter was sitting.

Completely immersed into whatever she was drawing the faint scratching of the pencil againest the paper distracted Patton for a moment. He wondered what she was drawing, what was so interesting about it, what was the appeal to drawing. But it made her happy, so did it really matter that much?

Does life only exist for happiness? But it does exist for happiness then it must exist for sadness in just the same way becaude you can't have one without the other. It's the rule of exchange from Fullmetal Alchemist, something has to be traded for somethibg of equal value.

Like graphite for a picture.

"What are you drawing Evie?" Patton asked softly leaning up on his hands as he looked over to where his daughter was.

Lifting her own head, she looked towards Patton, "Do you wanna see?" She replied putting her pencil down to the side, lining it up with the paper.

Dimples peered into Patton's cheeks as his chair rumbled through the room as he stood up. "Absolutely," Patton said back as he made his way over to Yvette's desk.

Pulling out a chair, the sound of plastic againest carpet for ingrained in his brain for more time than it should be. Taking a sit by her, Patton discreetly peered over Yvette's shoulder before Yvette pushed the image closer to Patton so he could see it easier.

Her eyes danced around the room as she tapped her fingers together, an awkward smile couldn't help forming on her face as Patton's brow questioned her. "Look," she pointed at her picture.

Average for a 4th grader, but that didn't matter, the picture was still a sketch but you could still make out what it was.

"It was an art assignment from last uear I was supposed to hand in," Yvette explained, "Mrs Jones told us that any homework we missed must be done before the first week back is finished," Her eyes glued on her work as a tinge of embarrassment glowed a crismson shade upon her cheeks.

Glinting through his glassy eyes, Patton's smile couldn't faulter. "It's beautiful Evie," He pulled her in before planting a kiss on her forehead, "It looks wonderful kiddo," He told her, "Absolutely beautiful,"

It wasn't much, just a drawing of her dad's with a small refernce image that's she'd printed out a while back. The line was wonky and occasionally crooked, but the resemblance was clear. Then again, Patton couldn't tell, his eyes were glued onto one detail that wasn't in the reference.

A glistening golden band upon their interwined fingers.

End Of Chapter. 1392 Words.