Chapter 15. Rock Bottom

It had been a few hours and I was string again. No longer weak, I don't even know how it happened. But it did feel like I was strong again. Maybe even stronger than before. Nico had told us that Topher wasn't who we thought he was so we had to interrogate him. "When I tell people I grew up in the suburbs, they always ask what that was like. And I tell 'em, it was great, if you like coyotes. 'Cause that's how my parents were. They were predators who traveled in a pack. If they spotted any weakness, they'd tear you apart. It's like they were born mean, and nothing I said or did could ever make it better. So one day, I- -I ran. And never looked back." Topher said to us, we didn't care about that.

"I'm so sorry." Molly said to him making him chuckle.

"Everybody got a story, right?" He asked we did.

"We don't care for your sob story." I said to him being honest.

"And that's a good one, but you still haven't answered my question about what's in here and why its so important." Nico said to him while holding up the vial.

"Why do you care? You don't see me asking questions about your magic wand, mm? Or those metal gloves One Direction here carries in his backpack. Or how Blackpink here can move stuff without touching it and can also create things that aren't there. Or the dinosaur? Anybody want to explain that? 'Cause I'm all ears." Topher said to us and he wasn't getting any answers.

"This is about our questions, ok, not yours." Alex said to him.

"And accusing us of hypocrisy is not gonna get you off the hook. That is called 'Whataboutism,' and it's a logical fallacy." Gert said to him.

"She was on the debate team, and we're not as trusting as we used to be. Also, was the One Direction thing an insult or a compliment?" Chase said to us I looked at him.

"Take it as a compliment." I said to him with a smile.

"If you want me to go, I'll go. I'm taking that with me." Topher said to us, good at least he'd be gone.

"No, that's not what we want. Well, that's not what I want. Don't leave. My parents are gone, Graciela's gone. Just answer the question, please." Molly said to him while walking downstairs.

"Ok. I'm just afraid my answers are gonna let you down." He said to us, they probably would.

"Try me." Molly said to him before he sat down. He sighed.

"Little while after I left home, I, uh I was digging in the trash downtown. Hungry, cold, just...wondering if I could even survive on my own." Topher said to me making me yawn of boredom.

"'Dark and stormy night', we get it." Alex said to him.

"Fast-forward to this part about this." Nico said while showing the vial.

"I found one of those...how do you say, Um...terrarios." He said while looking at Molly.

"A terrarium? Like, for a lizard?" Molly answered him confusedly.

"Exacto. Inside were these rocks. They were glowing. I picked them up. And the second I did, I felt freaking incredible. Then I saw myself in the glass. My eyes. They were yellow. I felt like I could do anything. That rush. I went from wanting to die to just...never feeling better. And it wasn't even just me that was fuerte. Just for a minute, it..." He started before stopping.

"Everything was right with the world." Molly said to him, she knew exactly how it felt.

"That sounds like something that should require a prescription." Gert said to him. It kinda did.

"Except there's nothing like it. I took those rocks, I ground them up. I've been stretching them out since then. But, as you can see, it ain't gonna last forever." Topher said to us, Molly seemed to be a bit hurt.