Chapter 12. Radio On

I liked living where we did. It was off-the-grid. And we all knew that no one would find us any time. But when the earthquake hit we all woke up to glass shattering. I clinged on to Chase.

"What is this?" Molly asked us all.

"Earthquake!" Chase shouted, we all got up and ran.

"Over here. Doorway." Nico shouted to Molly and Gert.

"Molly! Under here!" Gert shouted before getting under a table.

"Gert!" Molly shouted before running over to her.

"Molly! No!" Chase shouted before Molly started to lift up the collapsing pillar.

"Holy crap." Gert got out. Once the earthquake stopped we left our little safety spot.

"Did you guys see that?" Molly asked while putting the pillar back up.

"We're safe. We survived." Alex said before the chandelier fell making me jump into Chase. We then walked over to it.

"This place held, though." Chase said to us, I don't know how.

"For now." Gert said to us.

"It's a miracle it's still standing." I said to them, we were luckily this place didn't come down on us.

"Wait, guys...where's Karolina?" Nico asked, I then looked around. She was gone.

"I don't know, but we'll find her." I said to her reassuringly. The last time I saw Karolina was before I shut my eyes for the night. Chase and I went to go and search a few sections together.

"There's no sign of her upstairs." Gert said to her, she wasn't anywhere.

"Although, pretty sure I saw, like, rat-sized cockroaches back there." Chase said before Old Lace growled.

"Bite-sized Old Lace snacks." Molly said, at least we had a way to get rid of them.

"No. Gross." Gert said to them. "Fine. Who am I to judge the dietary habits of a homeless dinosaur?" Gert asked before Old Lace roared and hissed at her. She then ran past us to eat the cockroaches.

"Guys! Focus. Karolina!" Nico said to us, that was my focus.

"Look. She's not in here injured, ok, which means she's out there probably totally fine." Alex said to her, he had a point but we all knew she wouldn't listen.

"Except it might be worse out there. We need to partner up, comb the area nearby." Nico said, that was a good plan actually.

"Or maybe we don't need to go anywhere." Molly said before I followed her gaze. There Karolina was.

"Hey. Is everyone ok?" She asked us with a smile.

"Where were you? We were worried." Nico said to her, I knew that she'd have a good answer.

"Sorry. I couldn't sleep, so I went for a walk in the woods. I really didn't mean to worry anyone." Karolina said before Nico pulled her into a hug.

"How bad is it out there?" Gert asked her, it had to be bad surely.

"It's definitely way worse down here. The rest of the world is still intact." Karolina said, so this wasn't that main one then. Got it.

"Ok. So this isn't the one that Molly's parents warned us about." Alex said to us, I was tired so I rested my head on Chase's shoulder.

"Or it's the pre-shock to that one. We don't know if we permanently shut down the construction site." Molly said to us, either way our latest would just become serial killers if this happened. They wouldn't have started anything up again.