Chapter 48

-Colby-

Sam and I got off the escalator and looked over the crowd before finding Kat and Brooke sitting in a couple of chairs by the baggage claim. We weaved through the crowd before getting to them--they spotted us and stood up. I ended up running straight into someone when I got distracted. I heard the person drop whatever they were holding and whipped around.

"Shit, I'm sorry, are you alright?" I asked, helping whichever poor soul I just ran into pick their stuff up. They were already grabbing their stuff as I crouched down.

"It's all good," The guy chuckled. "Hard to avoid running into someone in LAX."

"You got that right," I chuckled, handing him a book. I met his eyes and his widened. He was no older than me, maybe closer to Brooke's age. His eyes were a deep brown matching his dark hair. He had on comfortable clothes meant for traveling in, and a bag slung over his shoulder--the same one I knocked off of him a moment before.

"Shit you're Colby Brock!"

I winced a bit but nodded. "In the flesh."

"Dude! I'm a huge fan! Can I get a picture?"

I shrugged. "Let's do it." He handed me his phone and I raised it up, angling it so we could both get in the picture, then grinned. We took a couple pictures before I gave him his phone back, he smiled at the pictures with a sparkle in his eyes. I couldn't help but laugh at how excited he is--I mean, I'm just me. A normal person. 

A normal person with a wife.

Brooke!

"Uh, it was awesome meeting you..."

"Jack," He put a hand out and I shook it.

"It was nice meeting you Jack. I gotta get going though."

"Right, sorry for keeping you."

"It's all good man, see you around." I winked before hurrying over to Brooke. She was smiling at me as I walked up.

"Hey baby how was-" She started to say but I put my bag down and wrapped my arms around her. She grunted in surprise but simply laughed it off and hugged me back. I closed my eyes as she ran her fingers over my back soothingly. I really haven't changed since we started dating, I am kind of clingy with Brooke, but I can't help it. She's my happy place. She started rocking gently when I didn't let go and just let her hold me. I peaked my eyes open to glance at Sam and Kat.

Kat was messing with his hair a bit but seemed happy to see him, Sam had a goofy smile on his face as he looked at her. She was talking about something but I couldn't quite make out what it was. She looked tired though, circles hung under her eyes and I wondered if she and Brooke had some late nights. 

I took a long breath and pulled back from Brooke and kissed her briefly. 

"Happy to be home?" She asked as I ran my hands up and down her arms. She reached a hand up and touched my cheek. I leaned into her touch, grateful to be home.

"Very." I looked over her appearance and saw the circles under her eyes too. She looked pale too, probably from lack of sleep. 

"You feeling okay?" I asked, running a hand over her forehead, and touching her face and neck. She giggled and took my hand in her's while nodding.

"I'm just tired don't worry."

I nodded. "Okay." I decided to talk to her about it later, the middle of the airport isn't a good place for a conversation like that.

We all waited there for Sam and I's bags to finally come down. I had my arms wrapped around Brooke the whole time, resting my chin on her shoulder. One of her hands was combing through my hair and I swear I could have fallen asleep standing there like that. But I think falling asleep on your pregnant wife is frowned upon.