Chapter 38

-Brooke-

"I'm so nervous," I laughed lightly. Sam, Colby, Kat, and I are all sitting in the waiting room of the gynecologist. We're about to find out the gender of the baby. Or Sam and Kat are. Colby and I are gonna make sure the baby is still healthy. We find out the gender later today.

I got really big quickly over the course of this trimester, and we're about 1 month out from the third trimester. This pregnancy is going by so quickly, that it's hard to imagine how fast this kid is going to grow up.

"Me too," Colby admitted, smiling at me. He put a hand on my bouncing knee, successfully stopping it from bouncing. 

"I'm so excited!" Kat squealed and we shushed her. 

"I am too," Sam chuckled, putting a hand on her leg to calm her down. He turned to look at Colby and I. "You two look like you're gonna throw up."

"I'm so nervous," I repeated making Sam and Kat laugh.

"Brooke Clarke?" A nurse called out. The four of us stood up and hurried over. She smiled at us.

"Making the gender a surprise?" She asked. I nodded.

"That's correct."

"Alright, so..." She looked at Colby. "You're her husband?"

"That's correct," he answered. 

"Excellent, we do have some papers to fill out today too." She led us to a room that could fit all of us. I had to sit in the chair but wanted to pace around the room anxiously. The others managed to convince me to sit down. 

We did paper work and talked about how things were going for a bit before she left to get my doctor. My fingers were tapping against the side of the chair and Colby took my hand to stop me. 

"You're making me anxious," He laughed. 

"Cause I'm anxious," I laughed, looking at him. 

"Stop! You BOTH are making me anxious," Kat chimed in. 

"All three of you need to relax," Sam added, looking at his phone.

The door finally opened and my doctor walked in. She introduced herself to everyone and I shook her hand and she gave me a gentle smile.

"Ready?" she asked. 

"Yes, more than ready," I told her. 

She had me lay back and lift my shirt up revealing my stomach which has gotten very round these past few weeks. I could see the start of stretch marks. I smiled every time I saw them though, it mean my baby is getting bigger meaning it's healthy.

She poured the gel on my stomach. It's warm which startles me every single time, cause I expect it to be cold. She moved the gel around with the ultrasound and it all began. Colby was sat right next to me watching the TV screen with me, seeing every movement. Finally the baby's head popped up on the screen and I started smacking Colby's arm in excitement.

"Hold still," Dr. Jackson laughed. Colby grabbed my hand and held it in his, successfully restraining me. She started pointing out features of the baby. I started getting emotional and went quiet as I chewed on my nails. It had very defining features, we could clearly see it's face, and even saw a hand. She moved it around a little more and went quiet suddenly.

"Oh..."

"What?" I looked at her. "No, no, no you can't just say oh, you gotta tell me what's going on."

"Is the baby okay?" Colby asked, worry dripping from his voice. Sam and Kat were staring at the screen.

"Uh," She cleared her throat. "Yes the baby is fine."