birthday; (extra)

a/n: this is an extra of when Iwa-chan and Oikawa were both in elementary school

[IWAIZUMI]
It's July already, and I know someone who's going to celebrate a very special birthday.

"Hajime-kun, are you going to Tooru's house today?" My mom shouted as I was reaching for my father's scissors on his desk. "J-just a minute!" I said as I nervously trimmed the edges of the decorative paper my mom and I bought yesterday. I poured some glue all over it,  but I suddenly tripped and then the whole bottle of glue poured over on the decorative paper. I salvaged as much as I can, but it was already ruined. I wailed so hard.

"Hajime-kun, what's wrong?" My mom came in, worried I hurt myself.

"Mom, I'm not going to Oikawa's birthday!" I shouted in frustration with myself.

My mom and then hugged me. "What's the matter?" She asked and I pointed at the ruined present I was making for Oikawa. "He loves volleyball, so I made a drawing of the two of us wearing the national volleyball team uniforms and playing together— but now it's all ruined." I said, sniffling and trying to hold back another batch of tears ready to leave my eyes. Mom smiled and she picked up the drawing. "Why don't we make another one?" She said and I smiled. Moms are the best!

We finished the present I have and I dashed to Oikawa's house beaming. I tried not to crumple the paper as I rang the doorbell and I was greeted by Oikawa's dog. The door opened and Iwa-chan hugged me, but he was crying. "I'm glad you came Iwa-chan, but there's something going on here." He said, wiping away his tears. I'm a bit confused and worried. "What's going on? Where's the party?" I asked him and he shook his head.

"My dad divorced my mom."

I was shocked. I didn't know the meaning of such a word and I was lucky enough not to know it. But for someone as bright and young as Oikawa to know such a word, it's unsettling. My drawing was wet with teardrops from Oikawa's face. I didn't even know if he liked it or not.

It's July again. We're already in senior high school and surprisingly, Oikawa and I are still in the same school. We excelled in volleyball with him as the captain and setter and I as the ace. Those two positions go hand-in-hand after all. "Hey, Iwa-chan! It's my birthday, why don't you come to my house? My mother's cooking is pretty decent now. She practiced!" He said, joking. I smacked him and chuckled. "I look forward to it." I said but deep inside, my memories of his 10th birthday still clouds my mind. I can't imagine how tough it must be for Oikawa at such a young age. He must despise his dad to never talk about him.

Even though it was hard for Oikawa, I'm proud of myself that I stayed by his side for as long as I can and I will never leave him. If he wants me to, he'll just have to get rid of me however he can but I'm not going to budge.

I'm here for you, always.

——————
it's been so long, and it's still an extra lmao i'm so sorry