determination;

[OIKAWA]

Something is not right with Iwa-chan.

I've called him 'baby' ten times today when we went out for ice cream and it was in public. He's so absent minded. Naturally, he would say stuff like 'I'll kill you!' or 'Shitty-kawa!'. He isn't doing any of those and I'm starting to worry. Am I masochist? Well, if I lick his face and he doesn't budge, then there is something wrong with him! I leaned closer to his face and he stops me with a light punch.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Iwa-chan, you're like a rock today! What's going on?" I replied. He squinted his eyes as if to say 'You're what's going on'. He sighed and shook his head. "Nothing. I'm just worried about something." He said and his vanilla ice cream was starting to be all liquid. "Hey, hey, hey! You can tell me anything you have in mind!" I exclaimed and he suddenly chuckled. "You sounded like Bokuto-san!" Ah, I love this smiling face of his. Even if it's subtle, I can clearly see the way his eyes squint and how he purses his lips immediately so no one knows he finds something funny. This is what I signed up for.

No, I signed up for every part of Iwa-chan, smiling or not.

"I can read your mind actually, I can tell you're very sad!" I joked with him and he didn't respond.

"I'm going to take the entrance exam to K Uni tomorrow." He suddenly said.

This conversation took a turn.

"How about you Oikawa? Where are you studying?" He said and I trembled quite a bit. "Where, you ask? I'm honestly weighing my choices. I still don't know." I told him. Way to go, Pinocchio, you lied once more. "You told me before that you will be taking an exam at S Uni. You were so sure." He glared at me and I was shaken. What should I do? Tell another lie? I don't want to deceive Iwa-chan more than I already have. But if I tell the truth, won't he be miserable?

Am I going to leave Iwa-chan alone with his thoughts?

"Oikawa."

I was so lost in my thoughts. I don't want to lie to Iwa-chan anymore, I'm sick of covering up. I have to tell him the truth. "Iwa-chan, please don't be mad..." I said, reaching for his hand. His hand is so big and warm, I want it to carress my face gently. "I won't." He squeezes my arm and it was like he was squeezing my heart as well. "Mom and my new dad decided that I finish my studies over there, in America. I'm not going to be here for long and I will be gone for almost 4 years. Is that okay with you?" I asked him, looking down.

I bet Iwa-chan is going to punch me across the face or slap me so hard like a volleyball during court service.

"That's it? Geez."

I suddenly looked up and saw his bland, expressionless face, looking hurt and he is saying those words as if he doesn't know what kind of face he's putting up right now. "Iwa-chan," I tried to reach but he squeezed my hands tightly. "I won't stop you, I've decided that. Whatever your dream is, that's also what I want for you. As you said, we can't keep playing volleyball forever, but my determination to be with you and stay by your side is a lot stronger than attacks, blocks and serves in a match," He said. Classic Iwa-chan, bringing in volleyball analogies to his declaration.

"And because of that, when we both finish university, you better see me first when you arrive in Japan, and greet me on one knee. Do you understand?"

I almost cried. This sweet declaration of love was better than anything else in history. This made my life so much better. I could very much recall how long we have been officially dating, but our love for each other, I bet, was longer than that. We may have been dating for only weeks, but we have been wary of each other for years. I love this man forever, and when I come back to Japan, I will see him, I will cherish him more and I will stay by his side forever.

"Hey Iwa-chan,"
"Hm?"

"I love you."

———
-1 month later-

These two months I was in Japan, I really had a great time with my boyfriend, Iwa-chan. Geez, it's too cheesy for me to say that! Even though it's only been two months, I felt like I just had the best ten years of my life, or more, with him. I love him, and I know he loves me though it doesn't show.

"You got your stuff?" He asked.

I nodded and then gave him a peck on the lips. "Don't miss me too much Iwa-chan~!" I told him and he rubbed his lips with his sleeve. How rude! "Don't do those kinds of things where people see you, Dumbass-kawa!" He shouted and I laughed. "It's the first time you call me dumbass!" I exclaimed and hugged him.

"It's almost time for you to board." He said and immediately let go.

I smiled at him and gathered my stuff but he suddenly grabbed my arm and I turn back at him as he gave me a kiss on the cheeks. "Don't forget to text me from time to time or even FaceTime me. I'll kick your ass if you don't." He said and I got teary-eyed. I really will miss this lovable dork! "Iwa-chan, marry me right now!" I exclaimed and everybody was looking at us.

"Embarrassing, get away from me! Go on, you are going to miss your flight!" He said, shoving me away from him. I held his hands and brushed it gently with my thumb. "Goodbye Iwa-chan." I didn't want to let go, but here I go.

"See you again, my spiker."

———————