Season 4 Chapter Eleven

Season 4

Chapter Eleven

I thank the Gods for Ingrid, without her, I would not be able to get near Hvitserk. I didn't know how to escape Kattegat with Hvitserk and without him was not an option even if he asked. I wished Brae would've arrested me too, but he knew that's what I would want. Brae is smart, but I'm smarter.

Ingrid and I were able to get into Hvitserk's cell without a problem, and Ingrid would sit and watch from outside just in case.

"May I confess something?" She whispered.

"Yes,"

"I have dreams of Ivar at night, he wants me to be Queen, and he is worried about Brae."

I nodded, "I never disagree with him and I know he said that." I held her hand tightly as I went inside the secret way that Ingrid discovered.

Hvitserk sat in a small corner all curled up, his face was bloody and beaten, and he shivered from the early winter cold. I quietly walked over to him and wrapped a blanket around him. He startled turning to me. He was surprised to see me. I smiled gently.

"How did you get in?" He whispered.

"Trust in Ingrid..." I said. I took a damp cloth and wiped his blood from his face. He curled next to me.

I laid my head on top of his, and then I began to weep, "I'm so sorry..."

"What for?"

"If I knew loving me would cause you so much I would've never married Ivar or had Brae..."

Hvitserk shook his head, taking my face into his hands, "How dare you!" Tears fell from his face.

"Everything I'm and everything that has come to be for me is because of you!" He pressed his lips to mine.

He then pulled away, "Remember who you are, Yrsa." "You are more than the mother of Brae Lothbrok..." I gently put the cloth to Hvitserk's face and smiled. He then pulled my head to his and sighed. I twirled my fingers around his hair. I don't understand what he meant, although he could just be very tired and hungry.

I stayed with him for as long as I could, making sure he eats, and feels comfortable. In the end, he is still the Prince of Kattegat. I dreaded when Ingrid came in and announced the guards were coming when they realized I was gone. I couldn't leave Hvitserk defenseless.

"I'll be alright..." Hvitserk said, gripping a blade behind his back. I still couldn't trust him in this state.

"Go..." he whimpered, the guards drew closer, "Go..."

Ingrid pulled me up and away.

I cried myself to sleep that night. The endless tears finally knocked me out. As I drifted a familiar scent and feeling came over me. I felt a fire burn in me and realized as I looked down at the water in front of me, I'm young again, at least eighteen. A face appeared next to me and a familiar voice spoke.

"What happens to the fish in the winter papa?" a young Brae asked.

"They go to Odin for now where they feast upon them..." Ivar said, splashing water in Brae's face.

"Now, go I must speak with your mother." Brae went swimming, playing in the water.

Ivar leaned against the grass, putting his face towards the sun. "What has happened to you?" He asked.

"I don't understand, my love..." I whispered.

"You are Yrsa, general of the great Spanish- Viking army, you took Kattegat and led them for revenge..." "You're going to let our brat beat you?"

I grew angry as Ivar called our son a brat, "Ivar!"

Ivar laughed, lifting his head up in the air, "I told you he was a mistake to have, I should've never let you have a child, and as for my brother I should have his head."

I swiftly got up and took my sword out and pointed it towards Ivar. He stood up, only this time he was a cripple, I knew it was truly Ivar. He pushed my sword down and said,

"Now that is my Yrsa." He then placed a kiss on my cheek.

Suddenly we were back at the Great Hall, but it was when we ruled, the skulls hung all around and Ivar sat in his chair. I went over and bowed to him.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

I smiled looking up, "Can I not bow to my King whom I love?"

Ivar's smiled curved "I love it!"

I sat at his foot, resting my chin on his leg. "What am I going to do Ivar?" I asked.

"Tell me, tell me what to do."

"You obviously do not know our son..." I looked up at him. "He is young and naive...but he is also afraid, Yrsa."

"And?"

"Use that against him..." he said, waving his hand.

I tilted my head, "Challenge him to a match, grant Brae permission to sail, let him prove his strength if he wants to prove to Kattegat he is a strong King..."

"If he loses, he must leave Kattegat for good, if you lose...you could never see Hvitserk, let him rot in the cell," Ivar explained. I can't imagine Hvitserk rotting in his cell. I can't.

"Don't make me think that," I said, closing my eyes.

"Then it's best if Brae loses..." Ivar winked.

Ivar revealed his sword to me that was given to him by the dwarfs. He presented it to me as I took it firmly in my hands.

"She has never failed me just like you never have, my darling," Ivar said.

I looked up at him and said, "He must lose?"

"In order to grant that permission from you as his mother he must lose to you and once he sails you will let Hvitserk free." I nodded my head.

"I miss you," I murmured.

He smiled, "Valhalla is a wonderful place, I can't wait to see you one day again."

"Yrsa?" He asked.

I looked up at him with teary eyes, "Take good care of Hvitserk, he'll make a wonderful King, but I know he is not as strong as me, but you're stronger than the both of us." He leaned over and kissed my cheek.

--

I woke up from a sound sleep, Thor roared in the sky as rain fell from it. The Gods are disappointed in my weak actions as of late. On my side, I felt something sharp and blunt. I unveiled the covers to find Ivar's sword gently next to me. The thunder reflected off the shining blade. I now understood what Ivar and Hvitserk meant. I growled slightly getting out of bed.

I went to my closet to pull out my armor and Ivar's and Hvitserk's arm rings. One each placed on my wrists. I felt like my old self again as I applied Hvitserk colors under one eye; blue and Ivar's colors under another eye; red. With my index and middle finger I made two lines of each color go down my forehead.

Too long as our family has been tormented just because of who we are and what we stood for. Too long have I worried and paced the floors like a silly wife and mother worrying for the safety of husband and son. The world has taunted me, time and time again and I was too worried of acting like a Queen instead of a warrior. Why can't I be both?

Lastly, I took Ivar's sword and placed it on my other side of my waist. I know Ivar is watching me from above. In some other form, he is watching all of our steps. This sword is proof of it. I should know because this sword was burned along the day Ivar was sent to Valhalla.

"Watch out son, Ivar the Boneless has the last say."