Season 3 Episode Four

Season 3

Chapter Four

Ivar and I were startled from planting by the sound of the drums. Someone unexpected is coming. Possibly dangerous. Ivar turned to me and as a mother, my first concern was my child. He is far away, but knowing Hvitserk, he'll come back to lead the army. Ivar came over to me and grabbed me by the arm,

"You don't think Hvitserk would come back do you?" I asked, with slight panic in my voice.

"Not really," He said.

We went to get changed, after a while, when Hvitserk didn't come back, I knew he was safe with Brae. The entire town did as we planned, the strong fights, while the young ones hid; armed and ready. Ivar was in front of the line while I stood next to him. His hair was braided quickly by me while mine was pushed to the side.

By the time the company arrived, Hvitserk was already home.

"Where is Brae?" I asked.

"Don't worry he's back at the Great Hall!" Hvitserk said. "Well done, brother!" Ivar said.

By the time the boats docked, we were ready and organized. At first, we thought it was just a wandering lost boat, but it also could be a trap. I slowly approached the boat and out came just one person. He was a gangling fellow, his eyes were dark, following the style of the Vikings, and he had more hair on his face than his head.

He turned to our direction and the first person he happened to see was Ivar, "Ivar, Ivar" He said, his voice was swift. "Ivar, is that you, you bastard?"

Everyone gasped, it was enough for me to draw my sword and approach him myself. I held the sword to his neck.

"How dare you insult my husband!"

"Yrsa!" Ivar called.

He chuckled, coming to me, "It's ok, Yrsa, I know who this is!" A bright smile came on Ivar's face.

"Come give me a hug you crippled bastard!" He said, stretching out his arms. I turned to Hvitserk who calmly walked over to us with Brae.

"Hvitserk!" He said, stretching his arms out to Hvitserk. He is a rude son of a bitch for sure. I put my sword away when I felt the danger slip away, but a slithered of it still lingered.

"Floki!" Hvitserk said.

"Floki?" I said, "The Carpenter?" I looked over to Ivar then back to Floki.

"Yes, Floki the Carpenter," He said, sharply.

"And who you might be, my dear?" Floki said.

"I'm Yrsa, Daughter of Svend and Maria, I'm Ivar's wife!" I said.

"Yrsa?" He said, "The Daughter of a Christian Princess?" Floki's eyes suddenly turned dark. A large part of me felt threatened.

"Ivar, you married a Christian?" He said, putting his hands out in front of him. Brae came around us and stood between Ivar and me.

"Mama?" He said Floki looked down as Ivar picked up Brae. "You're soaked!"Ivar commented.

"Ivar, a child, with a Christian half breed?" He smiled, but it was not a kind smile.

Ivar cleared his throat, and said, "Come! We have much to discuss!" I held Brae close to me as I felt threatened by him. The worst part is, Ivar invites him into our home.

--

I sat on my throne proudly as Queen of Kattegat. My son sat in between Ivar and me and I watched him closely. He was proud of his catfish. Ivar, Hvitserk, and I all ate with Brae. It was a goal for me that Floki could not eat some. Ivar took the head of the fish and made mock noises with it.