Chapter five

There was blood, guts, lost limbs, and chaos everywhere. I did not know who each person I killed was, I just knew they weren't on my side. The rain poured coming with the cold air. It made it almost impossible to fight and to concentrate. The sun has already gone down and I've lost so many men from the Christians and Ivar's army. I wanted to summon a retreat, but then I'll lose everything. I didn't even know where Frode was.

I stayed hidden behind a carriage, until I'm able to go out again. Across the way, I can see Ivar sitting against his carriage, his men are protecting him. There is blood on his face and he is screaming, not in pain or glory, but in seer bravery. It was the most frightening sight I've seen.

"You! On your feet!" A voice called. I slowly rose from my hiding spot and turned. A sword was pointed at me, I was found by a Christian. An arrow suddenly went to his head and the man fell dead. I turned to see it came from Frode who was also hiding. I turned around to see Ivar is the same position and a rush of guilt came over me.

Quickly, I removed every form of armor and weapons and threw it on the floor. The man was ready to strike Ivar, however, Ivar did not show any fear. Before I could rush over to Ivar, Frode grabbed me by the arm and asked,

"What are you doing?"

I looked over at Ivar and then Frode, "I don't know!" I said, breaking free from him.

I fell to my knees and grasped Ivar into my arms. Then I began to beg the Christian soldier like a small child.

"Please don't kill him!" I cried, I knew Ivar was questioning this, but I did it for a very good reason.

"Please, please," I plead for him. "He is so helpless..." I said, simply.

I knew the man was lowering his sword, slowly, but surely. He is a man of God. He did the sigh of the Cross and simply left us. I turned to Ivar and placed my forehead on his. A deep growl came from Ivar as both our eyes opened at the same time.

"The only reason why I did that is so I can kill you myself!" I got up swiftly and slapped his face. I then ran away. As I ran I heard Ivar scream out in anger.

Kattegat is now a loss cause, my army is deteriorating, and I need to get what is left out of here.

"Retreat!" I called, the men began to run back and we made our way to the boats, and from there we sailed north, back home.

It was a true victory for Ivar and his men. In a way I'm happy for him. He is home again and I don't think no one would dare to take that from him. I sat in the boat thinking of Ivar, not of my defeat. Maybe now my intimate nightmares of him will stop.

"Yrsa?" Frode asked, coming up to me. He sat down with me as we watched Kattegat shrink.

"Would you now consider my proposal?" Frode asked.

I looked at Frode, "I guess I can't run from you now," I said.

"No." Frode smiled, knowing I'm right.

"Who was that man who was going to attack Ivar the Boneless?" I asked out loud.

"He is Bishop Heahumnd, ma'am" an elderly man told me.

"So he is a man of the Christian God" I said to myself, no doubt by now he is probably dead.

"Why did you save, Ivar?" The man asked. "You could've killed him and victory would be yours."

I sighed, "Yes, yes, but truth be told, I feel bad for him." The words trickled out of my mouth painfully.

He laughed, "Of course! You're a woman, you're too soft!"

I grunted, turning around and driving my sword right in his lungs. "I'm not soft!" I said, tossing him into the water.

I went to sit with Frode, I put my knees to my chest and my face in my knees.

"I'm not soft," I mumbled.

"No," Frode simply said. "You live up to your name."

Yrsa- wild.

I wanted to go home. I wanted to see my father. I wanted to sleep in my own bed again. I miss the halls I used to run in as a child.

That night I curled into a ball and silently cried myself to sleep. I missed my mother. I remember how she would tell me so many stories of Ragnar Lothbrok and his wife Lagatha. Now, there is his sons. I know now, I could never kill Ivar because of who he is and who he belongs too.

Within a week I reached home. There was a grand celebration in my honor, even though I did not conquer much my father, King Svend was happy with me nonetheless. His only child. My mother died long ago when I was young, and my father loved her so. He never cheated on her and he never took another wife after her.

When he raided a small part of Spain, long ago, he found my mother praying to her God in a church. It was love at first sight for them. He took her back as a slave though, but sometimes when the Gods had their backs turned mortals can create such magic. There was no doubt my mother loved him. She loved him so much that she turned against her own God to become a Viking. Then along came me.

--

"My daughter!" My father said. He looks somewhat like me, he has long raggy blonde hair and a long beard, but blue eyes. I have brown like my mothers' and dark skin. I ran up to him on the docks and gave him a hug. He hugged me back with strong arms.

"Father I couldn't take Kattegat," I said. He placed a kiss on my forehead.

"Now, now, don't worry about that you're home now, your family is happy to have you home." My father smiled as we turned to our people.

It was a big celebration. I could tell Father missed me and the harvest went well since we had a large feast. Frode is always welcomed in father's court and he is grateful for his protection for me.

"Ah, Frode, step forward." My father commanded him.

"As usual thank you for protecting my daughter I know we are always eternally grateful for you."

"As I for your daughter's friendship for so many years." "But, King Svend, I want more."

"Oh?"

I knew what he's asking for. I reached for my drink and began to scraf it down. I was ready to fight again only with my father and Frode.

"I want your daughter's hand in marriage," Frode asked seriously.

"More please!" I asked the slave girl.

"Oh, well, Frode you are a fine man and you've done a good job protecting Yrsa, but that is up to my daughter."

My father looked at me for an answer.

I sighed, looking at Frode, "I love you, dear friend I do, and you are a good man and you will have many, many sons, but I cannot marry you."

Everyone gasped, "The Seer said, I were to marry a King, I don't know who is. A King with blue eyes. I don't know who is, but I'm waiting for him."