Season 2 Episode Five

Season 2

Chapter five

I don't feel pain anymore. It's been a month since the battle with Bjorn and one morning I woke up and the pain, the sorrow and the grief had disappeared. I'm able to be the Queen Kattegat deserves. Although, my husband always weighs heavily on my mind. I sometimes pretend he is next to me as I maintain order with the people. He beams with pride and happiness. He practically allows me to command Kattegat.

Once Hvitserk enters court, Ivar weighs even more heavily. Every day a new suitor would approach me and try to battle each other to see who would be the next King. Everytime I play each of them, and make the notion clear,

"There could never be a man that can take the place of Ivar Lothbrok, I love my husband, and I will always remain a Lothbrok."

From the corner of my eye I could see Hvitserk smiling. He has pride in his eyes and pure happiness in his heart. I'm reserved for him and only him and we both still hold onto the concept Ivar is out there. That is what makes our bond stronger.

"No!" A young Viking said.

"You are not in love with your husband, you are mistress to the other son of Ragnar!" Referring to Hvitserk.

I sensed danger and so did Hvitserk as his smile quickly disappeared.

"How dare you disrespect the Prince of Kattegat!" I hissed going closer to danger.

"You are full of lies!" he cried out.

"And you are full of ale..." I could see Hvitserk's hand on his sword.

The Young Viking took an axe and went to charge at Hvitserk. Hvitserk inserted the sword right in his rib cage letting out a loud cry. I went from behind and cleaved his skull with my own axe. He then fell dead as I turned to Hvitserk, my fingers wanting to caress his face, but I remembered my place.

"Are you alright?" I whispered to him. Hvitserk only nodded as people pulled the corpse away.

Once things had calmed down, Hvitserk met with me outside in the back of the Hall. I was extremely worried about him. I'm aware Hvitserk is easily triggered and he is prone to danger it seems, I always have an extra eye on Hvitserk. I looked around for him as I heard a soft whistle. I turned to my right and saw Hvitserk slightly peering over.

I rushed over to him and embraced him. "Are you ok?" I said, nervously. I could feel him smile.

"Yes, my love," He giggled. I placed a kiss on his cheek.

"I'm sorry, they are insistent about remarriage for me." Hvitserk knows I'm not going to remarry for some time.

My fingers intertwined with his long, blonde hair as I held the back of his neck gently. Hvitserk then looked troubled as he held my arm.

"What is wrong?" I asked.

"I love you," Hvitserk said, "I know you do, and I love you."

"Marry me, Yrsa," Hvitserk said.

His request caught me by surprise, "What?"

"I was thinking, we are growing older, we both tire of war. I know this place far from here that you and I can settle down together..." Hvitserk caressed my face.

"I can be your husband, and you can be my wife," He whispered, "You'll still be a Lothbrok."

My heart pounded as he asked to give up Kattegat, his home, and my home. Not to mention we are giving up hope for Ivar. Then again, settling down somewhere peaceful with Hvitserk would be nice. I'm tired of this place and constantly hiding with Hvitserk. This place brings back so many painful memories for him and me.