Season 2 Chapter Two

Season 2

Chapter 2

Ivar had some magic over Kattegat, before his death, it was warm here even during the winter. Now, after his death everything is cold and the feeling of home does not exist. I wanted to believe he was dead, but a huge part of me knew he wasn't. After that dream that part of me dominated all doubt. Although it did not dominate Hvitserk's doubt.

We got up early this morning and went to the river with some of Ivar's belongings. Ivar's necklace with Thor's hammer on it, his crutch which will serve as the boat, and my wedding ring which still has dry blood on it.

"My dear brother, my only hope is that you walked through the gates of Valhalla," Hvitserk.

"I'm sorry, I could not be there all the time for you." Tears dropped from his face.

I leaned over and kissed his crutch, it was warm almost like I was kissing his legs. I leaned forward and whispered,

"Don't forget my love, your legs are your wings." I came back and cleared my eyes of tears. I pushed the crutch against the water and let it set sail onto the river. Hvitserk and I watched desperately.

I turned to him and realized I've been selfish, Hvitserk has just lost his brother, maybe it ought to be best if he moved in with me into the Great Hall.

"Hvitserk, Kattegat has no King."

He turned to me, his eyes widened, "I can't be King..." he said.

"Why not?"

He looked down again, "I just can't..."

"You believe Ivar can still come back?" My voice sounded hopeful. Maybe Hvitserk sees reason.

Hvitserk sighed, "A part of me will always want to see Ivar again," "Yet again, I'm mourning my brother," Hvitserk continued.

"Kattegat needs a King," I said.

He held the back of my neck, "It has a Queen and that's all it needs." He is stubborn.

I looked back at the water to realize Ivar's crutch was nowhere to be found.

"Come on," Hvitserk said, "Let's go home, Your Majesty..." Hvitserk said. I smiled and realized that Hvitserk has a lot of respect for me. He took my hand into his and we walked back home. My heart pounded the entire walk home, I couldn't even look at Hvitserk without blushing. Hvitserk dropped me off at home and said,

"If you need anything you know where I'll be..."

"You as well," I said. Hvitserk smiled at me then began to walk home. Was that smile for me, Hvitserk? If it is, please keep on smiling for me.

Ivar's P.O.V

My body aches constantly, I'm tired, I'm cold, and I haven't eaten in days. Although I still remain strong and I'm constantly planning my escape. I don't understand why Headmund is holding me captive like this, especially hanging upside down. My head hurts all the time, my chest is tight from trying to breath, and my neck is sore. My legs have lost all feeling at this point. I heard a pop late last night, and since then they have numbed. It was a gift from Odin.

I've never been too deep with the Gods for anything I don't think I believe in them fully like I should. I know they are there though, I've seen them or figures of them. Why have they deserted me? Why do they not see me suffering? If there is no hope, just end me now.

I chuckled, no, why would they end me now? I'm their crawling joke! My whole life up till I married has been a joke to the Gods and to mortals. I only had one shot to die and that was when the day I was born. When Ragnar found out I was a cripple he left me for the wolves, but my mother found me and saved me. I found my life completely useless and a waste of time. The only thing that made my life worth living was Yrsa.

My dear Yrsa, I'm trying so hard to get back to you. I prayed to the Gods to send her a message to say I'm ok. I can only imagine how she is right now, as Queen, she holds her head high, but behind the crowd she carries a heavy heart. I have thought the worst of what could happen to her and it has made me panic. The only person that is looking after her is Hvitserk. I just hope that they are mourning me or looking for me, and not...the mere thought of my wife even with someone else made me scream.

Headmund came back in and let me loose of my bonds. I landed on my shoulder as I let out a soft whimper. I sat up against the wall as my vision became blurry. I felt dizzy and everything was spinning around. What appeared to be two grown men came towards me and stripped me of my armour and clothes. I sat naked on the cold, muddy floor.

"They said, this is what Hell is like, suffering and bitterness..." Headmund said. By now my head stopped spinning and I only saw Headmund and the door that was opened.

"What do you want with me, Headmund?"

"It's not you I want, it's your wife..." He said.

A deep growl erupted from inside of me as I glared at him, "You will not touch, Yrsa!"

"No, I would not have to do anything except turn her to her true God, the Christian God, Jesus Christ!" Headmund said. I did not waste my time with him, Yrsa has the mark of Thor on her thigh and the mark of Frey. She truly is the daughter of Odin. Although, he wants to seek her out and kidnap her as he did to me. That part I'm going to have to stop.

"How did you manage to get into Bjorn's army?" I asked. My body became achy and my nose became runny.

"After Lagertha died, I stayed with Bjorn, and when I heard he was going against you and Yrsa I could not pass up that opportunity."

"What a true victory that was for us," I said, smiling.

"Who killed her?" Headmund asked.

"Who?"

"Lagertha, who killed her?" He asked softly. A tear came down his face.

My smile quickly disappeared, if I were to tell him Hvitserk killed Lagertha, I will be putting my brother's life in danger. That will also lead him right to Yrsa. On the other hand, if the timing is right, Headmund would lead them to me. This is tough and I'm afraid to gamble with this idea.

"Who killed her?" Headmund whispered.

I kept quiet. The only nose I could hear is my heartbeat racing in my ears.

"Who killed her?" he kept repeating.

He got up rapidly and grabbed me from my braids in the back of my head. He pulled them hard. I was afraid he was going to rip them out of my head. I gritted my teeth as he screamed in my face,

"WHO KILLED LAGERTHA?" I began to laugh and knew I could tell him about Hvitserk.