Chapter Thirteen

Chapter thirteen

Frode turned to remove the axe from his leg. He grunted as he did so. He turned around to see Ivar is standing on his two feet without his crutch. He is much taller than Frode. Although, Frode with his pride, laughed at him.

"I'm not wasting time with you," Frode said, turning my way. I held my sword to his neck, my teeth grinded and my eyes burned with fire.

"You'll waste time with me then," I said.

Ivar stood behind me, with his bloody axe enlined with my sword. Steam came from his nose and fire burned in his eyes like mine. Ivar grasped my waist tightly, pulling me to him.

"You can't be serious," Frode said. He swiftly clashed swords with me, but Ivar jumped in front of me.

"Ivar, no!" I cried.

Ivar pushed me to the ground, but I know he did not mean it viciously. Ivar threw his axe, but missing Frode. Frode then clashes with Ivar, but misses him. Ivar fell down, hitting his back. It's like fighting with a child to Frode. "How dare you, disrespect the Queen of Kattegat!" Ivar screamed.

"Do you realize, she can't be trusted, once she was Queen she was going to kill you!" Frode said.

Ivar turned to me, questions ran through his mind. I shaked my head rapidly. It was only a thought, and even at the time a thought and nothing more.

Ivar got up and took up my sword and stood his ground firmly. He never looked so valently as the Christians say. It means looking good while being brave. The men began to really battle; Ivar's feet dragging as he forced his legs to move. My heart pounded as I watched the two people I love go at each other.

Ivar was losing. He was quickly becoming tired and he eventually fell to the ground.

"You will be childless, Yrsa, is this what you want?"

Frode turned my way, but I was not there. He quickly searched for me, but I was nowhere to be found.

"Yrsa?"

I landed on Frode from a tree branch, Ivar then thrusted his sword into his gut. Frode's eyes bulge from his eyes and blood came from his mouth. I fell to the floor, letting out a small scream. I could kill Ivar right now. Frode fell onto his knees and into my lap. Ivar knew what he did and he regretted it.

"Ivar, what have you done!"

Frode's blood poured from his body; speeding up his death. He looked up at me and smiled, laying his hand on my face. A tear ran down my cheek and onto him. Our childhood together flashed before my eyes and then I knew, I will never have a friend like him again.

"I love you," He murmured before he slowly closed his eyes.

Ivar crawled beside me and laid my head on his chest. Tears came down his face.

"I'm sorry," He whimpered. I began to weep hysterically.

"I'm sorry, my love," Ivar said. He slowly rocked back and forth hoping to console me.

--

"I don't understand," King Svend said. It is the following day and Ivar was pretty much at the mercy of King Svend.

"I just don't understand why Frode had to die," King Svend said. He sat in his chair in the Great Hall.

"He was going to hurt your daughter, my wife, sir," Ivar said, softly.

King Svend liked what Ivar said and knew right away he had chosen the right husband for Yrsa. He smiled, cocking his head to the side, and raising an eyebrow.