Season 4 Chapter Three

Season 4

Chapter Three

Brae's P.O.V

Mother has not been out of the room for three days and between Hvitserk and me, we've tried everything. Hvitserk opened the window to allow the sun in, I made a lot of noise, hoping she would get up and chase me around with her ax. I pulled the covers off her. Hvitserk tried to roll her out of bed. She somehow is stuck to that bed. Hvitserk decided to take one drastic measure.

"You can't set the Great Hall on fire!" I said. Hvitserk was spinning wax around the hall.

"Hvitserk..." I said.

"Do you have any better ideas?" He said, his eyes hardened to me. "When are you going to start calling me Father?"

I sighed out of my nose, "Not now!"

"When my mother wouldn't get out of bed, my father did this."

I straightened my back out and said, "As your King, I forbid this!"

Hvitserk chuckled, "That is not going to work, boy!" I scoffed, walking past him and towards my mother's door.

"Damn, since you became my father, you've been defiant."

"At least you know where you get that from!"

I scoffed, knocking on mother's door, "Mother, this is the last time! You need to get up or Uncle...is going to set the hall on fire with you in it!"

I know he had to be bluffing. I turned to Hvitserk who was ready to lit the fuse. I went over to him.

"Ok, another idea!"

"How about force?"

"Force?" Hvitserk said.

"Yes, we drag her out!"

"Your mother is a fighter, she'll kick both our asses."

"It's better than burning the Great Hall," I said. Hvitserk nodded.

I know it wouldn't be easy, but it's well worth a try. We went by the large wooden door that she had locked herself in and knocked one last time.

"Mother, we changed our minds. We are going to break down the door and drag you out!"

She didn't answer, all that Hvitserk said is, "On the count of three, we knock it down," I nodded.

"One..." He said.

"Two..." we said together.

"THREE!"

The door suddenly opened and Hvitserk and I landed on the bed.

"What are you two doing?" She asked, crossing her arms.

"We are trying to get you up and out of this bed, ma!" I said, looking over to her.

"I've been out of bed."

"So you didn't hear us talking at all?" Hvitserk asked.

"No, I was taking a quick bath..." as she brushed herself, "I smell like a pig rolling in mud," she mumbled as she walked out. Hvitserk and I looked at each other as we laid on the bed. That problem is solved.

--

Hvitserk's P.O.V

Once our troubles with Yrsa was over, it was a perfect moment to try and bond with Brae. He is willing to do that, so I know he is still hurt from when Ivar passed, but he needs a parent right now. Someone who knows the crown. Although, I still can't help being Hvitserk as I stole an apple for us to share from the stand.

"Where is Saga? I don't see her anymore."

"Oh, um, we are not together anymore," Brae said.

I patted Brae on the back, "There are far more beautiful women out there..." A young slave girl passed us as she smiled at Brae.

"And you can have anyone you like," I said in his ear. He laughed sadistically as his eyes gleamed.

Yrsa came from the crowd with a basket full of flowers and in a dark blue cloak. My cloak. The color of Hvitserk Lothbrok. My heart suddenly jumped from my chest as the apple fell from my hand and onto the floor. Her beauty is a curse. She is vulnerable right now, anybody can have her, but I know who she really wants. My eyes follow her closely as she makes her way through the crowd. A person could tell she is in mourning.

"Looks like Thor just shot a thunderbolt right at your ass," Brae said, leaning into my ear.

I looked at him, "You are meaning to tell me after all this, all these years, and all this time you never stopped loving my mother?"

I sighed, "I've never really had a purpose in life until she came into my life, and then she gave me you," I said, turning to Brae.

"Why don't you just marry her?" Brae asked.

I sighed, "Even now it's not that simple."

"How?"

I looked down and said, " I need permission from the father, a king, and since Svend is dead, you are next to ask..."

Brae nodded as he bit his lower lip, he looked just like his mother doing that. "Permission from the King..." Brae nodded. He looked down then over to me. My lust for her grows stronger each day. I know when I conceived Brae with her it was my only opportunity to have her bed. I would never get the chance again.

"You love my mother?" Brae asked.

"I do."

"You have my permission...father." Brae smiled. I smiled back at him, my heart became light.

"I do believe you will be a good King," I said to him.

"I plan to be more than that, I plan to be more what Ivar was, and I won't let my heart be hardened by a woman's love."

My smile disappeared slightly, "Ivar had his reasons to be vicious, you don't know what he went through before your mother."

"If a cripple can be great, then so can I." 

Author's Note: Please let me know how you feel about Brae's character. I'm playing around with some character ideas and pulling bits and pieces from Ivar, Hvitserk and Yrsa.