Chapter Fifteen

Chapter fifteen

It is a rainy, gray, and cold day today. Today is the day I have to say goodbye to my father. Ivar stood by my side the entire time. They prepared my father's grave the Pagan way. They filled the boat with treasures he loved in life. Although I could not go in the boat, for I was his greatest treasure of all.

I was the last one to place an object in the boat, his favorite cup and a coin with Odin on it. Ivar placed my father's sword and the shield in the boat and sent it on it's way. The archers cast their arrows and set it on fire, giving me no hope that my father will ever return to me.

I was numb. Lost. Alone. Frightened. I've never ever felt those things before. I sat on the docks and stared down at the water. Ivar crawled beside me and sat up. He looked in the water with me.

"Why did they name you Yrsa?" Ivar asked.

"Because when I use to kick a lot in my mother's womb, I was wild," I said, looking over at him.

"Do you like being called Boneless?"

"It grows on you..."

I looked back down to the water. Tears came from my eyes, "I have nothing now, no friends, no family, I'm nothing," I said softly.

"You have me. I'm your friend, I can be your family," Ivar said, moving hair away from my face. I looked at Ivar, he looked tenderly at me.

"We can be a family..." He continued to say. I sighed deeply.

"Yrsa, marry me," Ivar said.

I looked over at him and a part of me became alive and I suddenly remembered how much I wanted this life with him.

"I may not be a God, little loan a man, but I will do everything in my power to make you happy," Ivar said, a tear fell from his eye. He slowly leaned in and kiss my lips. His kiss was sweet and salty from his tears. He pulled away, "and I will love you with every fiber of my being," he added.

I looked at him and I realized that it is a monster that is speaking these soft words to me. He is ruthless. I've never loved a single human being before and I've never known any man that deserves my love except him. I would have to put my faith, my patience and love into this relationship.

"Marry me..." He whispered. His voice sent shivers down my spine.

I licked my lips and said, "Yes," He sighed in relief and laid his head on my shoulder. I then laid my head on his head. My whole life has changed by just one word. One simple word. I will become Queen of Kattegat and I will marry the King that I was meant to marry.

Ivar wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close to him, I was uncertain of everything, and I'm even uncertain in marrying Ivar. I would become a Lothbrok and carry the heavy name with me until the Valkyries take me. I don't want to worry about it, until I have to worry again; I picked Ivar and carried him to our favorite swimming hole.

Lagerthat was given the biggest and grandest funeral of them all. In a way I was happy for Ivar. It would give him his peace of mind, and we can live happily together. In another way I've lost one of the greatest inspiring women, which is why I kinda doubt my marriage to Ivar. I hope I made the right decision. Lastly, as mentioned I worry about Bjorn and his need to revenge his mother. He loved her, as he should, but I know in some form that will affect life in Kattegat.

Although Ivar did not kill Lagertha, I worry for Hvitserk. I knew Ivar worries for him too and his life in this world if Bjorn chooses to seek his revenge. When the battle was over, Hvitserk went into hiding. Even Ivar and I did not know where he was. We sought out the Seer for his whereabouts and all he could muster is,

"When he is ready he'll come home to the both of you." This led to Ivar killing the Seer in cold blood.

Ivar apologized for what I saw and he knew on some level that bothered me. As we walked home, I went up to him and placed my hand on his arm and said, "I would've done the same." It is all I said to him as we walked the rest way home. The Seer is known to play games and we can't play games now, for our wedding is coming soon and we needed Hvitserk to be home.

As days passed, Ivar grew more concerned and less patient with everyone, except me. The cold was coming fast, the night seems longer than the day. I dread the idea that Hvitserk might be dead. He seems so helpless compared to Ivar. Ivar would not sleep, he wouldn't eat, and he wouldn't sit on the throne. He would lay in bed all night thinking of all the places that Hvitserk could be.

One night, Ivar got up and ready his horse. He covered himself well and he brought food with him. Unfortunately my future husband does not know I'm a light sleeper. I followed him outside to the courtyard, the brisk moon shunned against the new fallen snow.

"Where are you going?" I demanded.

"I'm going to go look for my brother," Ivar said, packing his sword.

"By yourself?"

Ivar turned to me and cocked his head to the side, "Yes,"

I scoffed, "No," I said readying my own horse.

"Yrsa, I need to stay here in Kattegat," Ivar said.

"Just because I'm going to be your wife does not mean I'm just going to sit on the throne and birth babies," I said, sattling my horse.

Ivar sighed through his nose, "Why must you be so stubborn?" Ivar said.

I climbed onto my horse, "Take one to know one..." I smiled.

Ivar knew he couldn't argue with me as he climbed onto his chariot, "Where shall we look first?"

"Well, he is your brother, where would Hvitserk go when he was scared?"

"Naturally, he would run to our mother," Ivar said.

"Where is your mother now?"

Ivar suddenly looked ahead, his expression was hard to read, his reigns shaked in his hands, and his breathing quickened.

"I know where he is..."

We snapped the reigns and made our way up the mountains.