Chapter seven

We were on our way to Kattegat. The idea made my stomach turn and my knees wobble. As we approached the shores of Kattegat, my face became pale and my heart raced.

"Put this on..." Frode said. He put a large cloak over me. "I don't know who is waiting for us at the barge, but keep your head lower until we know Ivar is not there."

I looked over at Frode, he looked at me tenderly and placed a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"No matter what happens I'll keep watch of you," He whispered. We docked and people greeted us with open arms and food.

Kattegat is not a stranger to me, not the scent, the people, or the buildings. We made our way through the crowd until we met with Hvitserk. The brother of Ivar the Boneless. I kept my face covered from them especially. There is no doubt Ivar is King.

We made our way to the Great Hall as Hvitserk talked with my Father. I turned to see if Frode was still behind me; for what I could see. The great hall is filled with familiar faces and one face I've dreaded the most- Ivar. He sat in the throne where Ragnar once sat.

"King Svend, allow us to present our brother, King Ivar the Boneless," Hvitserk said.

"A young King?" My father said, "I did not expect that."

Ivar stood up tall this time, I would not think for a moment he was a cripple. "King Svend," he approached my father flawlessly.

I turned to Frode who had his jaw ajared. "You are most welcomed..." Ivar shaked his hand.

"Ivar..." My father said as he grasped my hand and pulled me forward. "May I present my daughter..."

I lowered my head even further, Ivar laughed, "Oh come on now, I won't bite you," Ivar spoke softly. He sounded so sincere in his voice. I know that is a trick.

"Is she shy?" Ivar questioned.

My father laughed, "My daughter? No!"

"Daughter, pick up your head and say hello to your future King!"

I quietly inhaled deeply, I must do what my father wishes me to do. I slowly picked up my head and cast myself upon my number one enemy. Ivar's soft expression disappeared quickly and replaced with surprise and hate.

"Ivar Lothbrok, may I present, Yrsa, My daughter, "Yrsa- this is your new husband."

I gasped taking a step back, surprisingly Ivar took a step forward and reached out to touch me.

I pulled away and backed into Frode. Ivar suddenly fell over causing everyone to gasp or laugh. Then I remembered he is just a boy, he can't harm me. I smiled deviously. Then turned to my father,

"Are you serious that I'm going to marry him?"

Ivar groaned trying to stand back up, my father groaned in embarrassment of my behavior. He bent down and with the swift of his hand got Ivar back on his feet.

"You'll have to excuse my daughter-" he turned to me, "Her pride will be the death of her!" I narrowed my eyes at my father- how dare he make such a statement.

"No, it's alright-" Ivar said, approaching me, he gripped my face, but I pulled away feeling the fire in my eyes burn. He cleared his throat trying to contain his discontentment, "She would make a fine Queen of Kattegat." He turned away as Frode grasped my arm from behind me.

"I thank you for coming, King Svend, you will stay as my guest right here!" Ivar said. I turned to Frode with my eyes widen,

"Oh, he's good!" Frode said.

"I'm screwed."

--

"I'm not marrying him, Father!" I said, as I unpacked my clothes.

"Yes you are! It'll be a good alliance!"

I turned swiftly to him, "Father, he is Ivar the Boneless..." I said approaching him, "He is a monster in many ways!"

He sighed deeply, "Yes, Yrsa I know that-"

"Then why are you making me marry him?!"

My father grasped me by my shoulders, "Yrsa you are eighteen years old and unmarried, I'm not going to be around forever and I want to make sure you are well taken care of. The Seer said, ''You would marry a King and there is your King!" My Father exclaimed. "There is your King!"

I scoffed, turning to the window, "I rather marry Frode," I said.

"Then why not marry him?"

I grumbled, "Just as the Seer said, I'm to marry a King!"

My father approached me from behind, "I know Ivar can be temperamental, but you are not afraid of him..." "If he tries to do anything, you can always cut his throat, and become the Queen of Kattegat and have your own Kingdom!"

I turned to my father, "Can I do it now?" My father laughed.

--

"Your daughter can be a little spitfire," Ivar said, as he sat with my Father.

"Yrsa is truly a Viking just like me and my father before me, but I tell you now King Ivar, she has a heart of gold."

Ivar tried not to laugh at the idea that the woman who mocks him has a heart of gold.

"That is a part I guess I would have to wait and see," Ivar said.

"Trust me, you won't regret it, and with your marriage to my daughter it will make a good alliance and our army will be unstoppable!"

"Skol!"

"Now tell me why you need my help?" My Father asked.

"I want revenge on Largtha who killed my mother," Ivar said. "She is the only threat on Kattegat and myself," Ivar continued.

"Then what about your brother, Bjorn?" My father asked.

"I was asked to spear him..."

"And then he will be the new threat and he would want revenge for killing his mother."

"Ivar, there is one thing I've taught Yrsa and now I'm going to teach you, revenge is not worth it if it affects everyone."

Ivar smiled, lowering his head, "Now if this affects my daughter's happiness then you would make an enemy out of me," My father said.

Ivar chuckled, "I don't believe it would affect her in any way, besides I do not believe your daughter will be happy with me even if I tried," Ivar said. "She would be happy to have my head on a spike!"

My Father laughed, "How well you know her," "You'll see how fond she'll grow of you then she would never want to leave your side."

"I highly doubt it," Ivar said to himself.