Season 3 Chapter Fourteen

Season 3

Chapter Fourteen

Once we reached the border of Kattegat, something was off about it. Something was off and wrong. It couldn't be because everyone had left with us. The town was bustling and loud. Ivar snapped the reigns as Hvitserk, Brae and I followed closely behind. We stopped at the Great Hall to see a different flag waving above it.

"Ivar those are not our flags," I said, Hvitserk picked up the burnt remains of our flag and held it in his hands.

Ivar burst through the doors and made his way to the throne. He growled as he slowly made his way. I followed behind him from afar. I tried to keep calm as we came face to face of what once was our thrones. The large skulls and horns had been removed and gold chairs took its place. They looked absolutely tacky.

On the throne sat what looked like Ragnar, but he was much smaller than Ragnar. Ivar described him being tall and hard on the eyes, much like his.

"Ubbe?" Ivar said I looked closer to see that this is Ivar's older brother. Next to him is his wife Torvi. They have grown old, but they still have maintained their youth.

"Yrsa," Torvi said, getting up while holding Ubbe's hand.

"Torvi," I said tilting my head. I do not like her sitting in my chair.

"What are you doing here, Ubbe, get out of my chair," Ivar spoke.

Ubbe laughed, "I'm afraid that is not possible, brother, this is my kingdom now! I like what you've done with it!"

Brae came forward ready to strike Ubbe, but I put my arm out, "Let your father handle this."

"Hvitserk, look at you!" Ubbe said, approaching him. Hvitserk stepped back as I went in front of Ubbe.

"Yrsa? Your story is legendary!" Ubbe said, I half smiled at him.

"Then you know what I'm capable of doing," I said. Torvi went beside Ubbe, a reminder as well how dangerous she can be and how much she loves her family.

"Give my husband back his throne," I sighed, looking at Ubbe. Ubbe came close to me and whispered,

"How about you go fuck yourself!"

Brae got in front of me, drawing his sword, and pointing to Ubbe making his back away.

"Brae!" I said, breathlessly.

"You insult my mother, Uncle, she and my father are the true heirs of Kattegat!" Brae said.

Ubbe scoffed, while he smiled, "This is your offspring?"

"Brae put the sword down, we can handle this," I whispered.

"Mother..." Brae said.

"Brae listen to your mother," Ivar said. Brae put his sword back and stood by me.

"You look tired, Ivar, you need to take a break from being King let someone who is...stronger take over," Ubbe said.

"Kattegat is strong because of me, where were you the past eleven years?" Ivar said.

Ubbe approached him and moved the crotch from Ivar as he fell to the ground.

"Ivar!" I said, going over to him, Ivar struggled to get up. Ubbe couldn't help but laugh.

"Look at the cute monster!" Ubbe said, in Norse.

"He's not the monster, Ubbe, you are!" I shouted.

Ubbe turned around and charged towards us, but Brae got in front of us.

"They said you are a feisty one!" Ubbe said.

"I challenge you for the throne!" Brae said.

"Not a smart one though."

"My father is tired and he is growing old, I'll challenge you on his behalf!" Brae said.

"Bra..." I whispered. My son, the brave. Ivar got to his feet, "Brae, don't do this!" Ivar said. Brae ignored Ivar.

Ubbe chuckled, "I'm not fighting the son of Ivar."

"The rules of Kattegat stand, anyone can challenge the King for the throne, you are King as you say, and I challenge you!"

Ubbe looked at us and then at Brae, Brae was serious about this. "Challenge accepted." I knew Ubbe did not want to do this.

Both tribes gather outside around the courtyard of the Great Hall. Ivar applied a blue lightning bolt on the side of Brae's face. Hvitserk stood by my side, knowing how worried I was. Brae has not had much experience in fighting.

"Nothing has made me more proud than this moment right now," Ivar said. He placed a kiss on his son's cheek.

Brae's P.O.V

My heart pounded out of my chest and into my ears. My family and my people are watching. If I fail it'll be humiliating. I turned facing Ubbe, he looked annoyed he had to face me. Almost like he didn't want to.

"You prefer the ax?" Ubbe said.

I did not say anything, I only growled. "What's wrong, afraid?" I asked. I knew I hit a nerve on Ubbe as he striked. I managed to leave a mark across his chest with the tip of my ax as I moved past him.

He swung his sword as I duck, I took my foot and pushed it to his ankle, and he fell. I put the ax to his neck.

"You're good!" He threw dirt into my face as I backed away growling. "Not good enough!"

We began to fight, I swung my ax this time missing him. He punched me in the face as I fell. Everything around me became a blur as I began to hear muffled sounds of what sounds like my mother and father. I looked up to see Ubbe ready to strike me. I moved away. I swung the ax to his leg as he fell down. I was exhausted, but I knew I had to keep going.

I bent down to him, and grabbed him by his hair, "My father..." I said out of breath.

"Your brother took on an army of Christians by himself when he was held captive when I was born, he ran back to the Great Hall to see my face!" I put his face to the ground.

"Whatever you thought of Ivar Lothbrok being a cripple, he has seriously proved you wrong!" I took my ax and I was about ready to decapitate him.

Hvitserk and my Father grabbed my arm together, as I lowered my ax slowly.

"What?" I said softly.

"He is still our brother," Hvitserk said.

"He insulted us!" I growled, I looked over to my father, "A real King, would not hurt his loved ones, that is the difference between Ubbe and Bjorn, and us."

I sighed, tossing my ax aside and went over to my mother who took me in her arms.

"You made us proud!" She cried.

Ivar took Ubbe by the hair and said, "You are to leave here, and don't ever come back!" I slammed his face to the ground as Torvi went by Ubbe's side.

Torvi grew angry as she drew her sword out of her leg and went to charge at Ivar. My mother jumped in front of her and stabbed Torvi with her own sword. Her eyes widened as she fell to the ground next to Ubbe.

"Torvi?" Ubbe cried as he put his arm around her. Ivar sniffled looking up at me.

My mother put her head down, feeling guilty, but not as much. She would've taken Ivar away from us and not even so much put her head down for us.

"We will let you grieve here for Torvi, have a proper burial and then you will leave Kattegat. You will never return and you will never speak to me again," My father said. He took us in his arms as we went back inside. This is the start of our war with Bjorn Ironside.