Season 3 Chapter Thirteen

Season 3

Chapter Thirteen

After a night of sex, drinking, and celebrating we went to visit Odin's temple. Brae followed with me closely as Hvtiserk and Ivar followed behind us. Floki came before us and our cheerfulness suddenly diminished.

"Where are all of you going?" Floki asked.

"A family pilgrimage to Odin's," Brae said, his voice was rough as if he was trying to contain his anger.

"How delightful, let me join!" Floki said as he started behind us.

"No," Braemar said, blocking Ivar and Hvitserk.

"I'm your Foster Father, and I'm your grandfather," Floki said smiling.

"Ragnar Lothbrok is my grandfather!" Brae said as he began up the hill.

I followed Brae from behind as Floki joined Hvitserk and Ivar. Brae reached the temple first. He waited for us as we entered together. It was dark with only torches to light our way.

"I can't see mother," Brae said. I giggled, "It is dark so the Gods can light our way."

"Trust in them, Brae," Hvitserk said, as he took Brae's hand and let him walk to Odin.

Brae then touched the large carved wooden bark and looked up to see the face of Odin himself. We watched in a trance stage as our son examined it and met Odin for the first time.

"My son..." I whispered in our language to Ivar. Ivar smiled as he passed us.

I had a personal mission. I went to the other side of the temple and bent down to the God of Protection- Eir.

"Please hear my prayer..." I looked up to actually see if he was listening. I began to speak in my language, in a very hush voice.

"Protect my family against the forces around us, protect Ivar my beloved husband, my beautiful son, and my prince, Hvitsterk," I looked to my left to see Floki staring at me.

I got up and went over to the boys and suggested we go grab a bite to eat. The boys did not object to that. We went back down the mountain leaving Floki behind. I intended it that way.

--

That night became the same as any other night, celebration, conception, and drinking. Ivar got drunk and fought with the opposite tribes. It was all for fun, he wanted to prove he was still a vicious warlord. For every time he would win, he drank. Hvitserk was off doing something, I did want a repeat of last night with the two of them. I knew what they were like in bed separate, but together; Ivar being rough and Hvitserk being the playful prince he is. I took another sip of my drink and went over to Ivar.

"I'm going to retire," I said, he ignored me at first, as I repeated, "I'm going to retire."

"It's fine, my love," he turned his head and kissed my cheek. He then quickly turned to cheer the men on. I smiled going about my way.

--

Brae's P.O.V

"Come and get me!" Saga laughed, as we ran through the darkness of the forest. We laughed as we did. I could see her through the dark as I reached out and grabbed her. We both fell to the floor as we kissed. I grabbed her leg and brought it up to me.

"Will you have my sons?" I hissed with lust

"I will have all of them!" She moaned.

She became sober as she looked up to see the Seer from the opposite tribe standing there. We both got up in fear. It was a great disrespect to show that kind of behavior.

"Forgive us, Wise One, we did not see you in this darkness!" Saga said.

He merely growled, he turned to me and said, "Brae grandson of Ragnar Lothbrok, Son of Ivar the Boneless and Yrsa," The Seer said.

"Yes, that is who I am," I said, approaching him.

"Like your grandfather before you and your father, you will be a great King!"

I could not believe what the Seer was saying, and I could not believe he would tell me this freeingly.

"Ragnar beams with joy for you and your family!" I couldn't help but smile while looking at Saga, who joined me in celebrating this news.

--

I just made it to the tent before collapsing from fatigue. Floki then appeared from behind the tree and said, "Retiring early?"

I turned and gasped in surprise, "Forgive me, Wise One, I did not see you." I turned again and began to go inside the tent. Floki turned me around and hissed at me,

"I know about Brae, I know he is not Ivar's son, and that he is Hvitserk!"

I was not going to fight the idea, no he is not Ivar's son, but Hvitserk, and I know that the conception was all of Ivar and Hvitserk's idea. I have nothing to hide or to be really scared of.

"He is Ivar's son," I said, looking up at him.

Floki came closer to me and said, "You lie! You conceived him with Hvitserk and tried to pass him as Ivar's son!"

I pushed Floki away, "It was with Ivar's permission that I conceived him with Hvitserk."

"You lie!" He said, "You Christian princess is like all of them, scheming and cunning!"

I wish I had my knife so I could gut him in front of everyone and offer him as a sacrifice tomorrow!
I glared down at Floki and smiled, "If you feel that way go confess this news to Ivar, I'm sure he'll have my head with your proof of news!"

Floki stepped back and realized I'm just as manipulative as Ivar and I'm just as ruthless.

"No, he loves you too much, and your half breed son!" Floki said, glaring down at me. I nodded. Ivar loves us to the moon and to the stars and above.

"Although it would be a lovely sacrifice to offer to the Gods, the cheater, and the lying bastard who he helped produce!" Floki said.

I became very defensive, my heart pounded, and all I wanted to do was scream for Ivar to get permission to kill Floki. My eyes widened as I went closer to him,

"You would not strike the son of Ivar the Boneless!"

Floki laughed, "He is not the Pagan son of a Pagan King and it would not matter!" Floki vanished and I became utterly afraid.

--

No one could find Floki the next day. Ivar was furious with his threat against Brae. I only told Hvitserk and Ivar, Brae did not need to be afraid. It is a mother's worry. Hvitserk did not worry for himself, but for Brae. Floki left without of trace. It's like he disappeared off the face of the world. We had other Kings help Ivar find him, it wasn't until mid-day that we heard even more distressing news.

"Bjorn is coming here," King Einar said. He is an Icelandic King of the North. He is Ivar's longest ally. Ivar looked at me and then Hvitserk. He gritted his teeth and grunted getting off his horse.

"This is supposed to be a peaceful celebration!" Ivar shouted. "Bjorn wouldn't dare to come here and cause trouble!"

"That is wishful thinking!" Einar said. "Ivar..." Ivar turned around as Einar leaned forward.

"Bjorn is coming here with an army!"

Ivar and I looked at each other and in fear, we packed everyone up and began the journey back home.

"I don't understand why Bjorn is coming for us?" Brae said.

"A long time ago son, Hvitserk killed Lagertha, the shield-maiden that was Bjorn's mother," Ivar said, softly to Brae, hoping Hvitserk would not hear.

"Since then, Bjorn's mission is to take the throne and kill Hvitserk," I said.

Brae looked at Hvitserk and suddenly his eyes turned dark and the sudden look of hate took over him. Brae rode up to Hvitserk and began talking to him. Ivar and I looked at each other. Deep down I knew all this was my fault. I should've made sure Bjorn was dead that day, I wanted a child, and now everything is coming back to haunt me.