Season 2 Episode Seventeen

Season 2

Chapter Seventeen

Ivar's P.O.V

Six Months Later...

Yol has come to pass and it was a joyous time for us as a family. Yrsa's belly grows larger each passing day. She carries my son with such grace and love. I hope he knows he's coming into a world full of love. Hvitserk is excited, everyday he takes walks with Yrsa, knowing I can't walk in the snow. I know I'm growing old, the snow bothers me all the time. I do not tell Yrsa that though.

"Did you like the present I made you for the baby?" I asked as we laid in bed together.

"Ivar it is beautiful, they'll love it!" She said, softly. I leaned into her and kissed her. When I came back up she looked at me confused.

"What?"

"You have a glow to you Ivar the Boneless, that icy hide you had is gone."

"Don't get me wrong, I do miss the raiding," I said, I could tell that bothered her. "But I'm happy with the life we have," I said, going close to her. She smiled as I placed a kiss on her hand.

"I must confess-" as I twiddled with her fingers, "I thought I was only good enough for my mother to love me, but since you, I'm not angry anymore." My voice grew softer. I know she likes it when I talk softly.

"It was always poor Ivar, my mother loved me out of pity because she knew no one else would love me, but not you, you saw I'm not weak and you made me the most powerful man in all of Norway." I put her fingers to my lips.

"I'm a stronger man now because of you," I mumbled. She smiled softly as she gasped. Her eyes widen, I know that look by now, the baby kicked.

"Woah! That was a big one..." she said, sighing. The first time the baby kicked within her I jumped in the air. It was two miracles in one day. The kick meant the legs were strong and they were working. I bent down to her stomach and begged, I Ivar, begged for it to happen again. I put my head to her stomach and it kicked again.

"He knows who you are," she said.

"He has such strong legs," She said. I moved her shirt exposing her large belly. I placed my head on top of it as I felt small taps against my ear. I sighed softly, as I kissed her belly softly.

"Hello, this is your father," I said. Yrsa played with my loose hair, she twiddled her fingers in it and ran her fingers through it.

"I feel he might have your hair, your hair is soft and strong," She said. Then she yawned. I went by her face and kissed her cheek,

"I want her to have your fire," I roared softly, "and your sight," my tongue licked the tip of her nose.

She closed her eyes and began to fall asleep. The baby wears her out quickly during the day. Each day she is losing more and more strength. I hold my breath every day that I hope Kattegat doesn't get raided and I lose my wife and child in it. Because of this fear, Hvitserk strengthened our defenses on the river banks and docks.

The other day I made him an admiral of the sea. He is a true leader and he loves Kattegat as much as we do. Because of his love for Yrsa and myself, he would put himself on the line to protect us. My dear brother, I do hope you know how much I appreciate you and I love you.

Before closing my eyes, I blew out the candle beside me and laid on my side where I usually sleep. I ran through my mind of what is happening now, Hvitserk is on duty tonight, the water is calm, and we are all sound. It is enough to comfort for me to rest soundly.

I then heard Yrsa scream, I jolted up from my side and looked beside me to see her sweating and crying in pain. She held her belly as it moved violently. The baby was coming and it was coming fast. I didn't know how to deliver a baby, but I would try my best. I begged her to push and push, I felt confident enough. Finally, my son was in my arms. He was covered in Yrsa's blood, but I knew he was my son.

I looked up to see Yrsa fading, I went over to her, and begged her, "Yrsa, Yrsa, no."

"Hang on," I cried, tears came down my eyes as she took her last breath. I began to shake violently as I called for Hvitserk.

I then looked down at the baby to see he was deformed to the point where it seemed he was not capable of living. This is truly a nightmare for me.

I woke from my sleep on a horrible night sweat as I looked over to Yrsa who was sound asleep next to me. What a horrible nightmare and it wasn't the first time I dreamed of Yrsa's death in childbirth. I don't tell her about it, I don't want her to have that kind of stress, but I do fear it is a sign from the Gods that for us to have a child it'll cost her life.

I looked over to her and thought I could not live without her, the child will have to be with Hvitserk because I can't live without her. If I were to live without her, my anger would be channeled to the child. That is no way for me to live. I defy the Gods, I always had defied the Gods. I'm Ivar the Boneless. They won't take my wife.

I got up and went over to the bowl of water to wash my face. I leaned over as a voice came,

"You saw it too?"

I turned swiftly to see Hvitserk standing in the doorway.

"You frightened me."

"Sorry."

I went over to him and said, "What did you think I saw?"

He nodded over to Yrsa, "Her death, the baby is not what we expect it to be."

"Don't worry about my wife, she is my worry to have," I said to Hvitserk.

"I love her too, brother," Hvitserk hissed, "There is nothing I can do about that, you thought if I had sex with her, it would break the spell over me, no it hasn't," Hvtiserk said.

"It has only grown."

I sighed, I can't be mad with Hvitserk, "If I lose her, Ivar and if I lose you because of her, I will follow you two to Vahalla."

Hvitserk reminds me so much of my mother, little by little, he looks like her every day. I loved her, and I think that's why I love Hvitserk as much.

I brought my brother over to me and hugged him.

"I can't kill your brother even if I tried." 

Author's note: I did say there would be no jealously between brothers, but I figure I need a little controversy before the baby is born. I'm not planning on a brotherly rivalry I love Ivar and Hvitserk too much! Besides, there is enough brotherly rivalry going on as it is.