Chapter Eighteen

Chapter eighteen

In the quiet, early morning of winter, there we laid together. The King and Queen of Kattegat. My loving husband, deeply asleep, and curled next to me. He looks very peaceful now. His golden skin pressed against mine with the fire roaring next to us. I pressed my lips to his hair and kissed him softly. I nuzzled myself closer and fell into a deep sleep. For now, life is peaceful.

--

I'm married now for five months. Children are the last thing on our minds right now. We have one last threat to Kattegat and not just to Kattegat, but Hvitserk as well. We knew the day when Bjorn would come back to Kattegat would be soon, but we don't know how soon. Ivar and I are working around the clock to make sure Kattegat won't be taken.

Although, Hvitserk with his deteriorating mental health makes things difficult. At one point he wanted to give himself to Bjorn to save us.

"I cannot risk losing my brother..." he said, then looking at me, "Or my sister..." he mumbled looking down. Ivar would insure Hvitserk that no harm would come to him.

"Although," I said, "It would be best if Hvitserk stays behind in Kattegat, where it's most safe."

Hvitserk's soft face hardened and his tender eyes had fire in them and it was all towards me.

"Stay behind?" He exclaimed, "No, no, I want to fight!"

I got up from my chair and went over to him before he went into a fit, "Hvitserk, listen, you can still fight but from the safety of Kattegat!" I said,

"Why can't you just give me to Bjorn?"

"How can you be so selfish!" I cried, "Do you know what you're doing to your brother?" I said, pointing towards Ivar.

Ivar sat motionlessly and not even looking at Hvitserk. He won't beg his brother. Ivar does not beg anyone. I, on the other hand, don't beg Hvitserk either. Although, if Hvitserk does not listen and get hurt or worse, it'll destroy Ivar for sure.

"Do you know what my brother has done to me?" Hvitserk's voice echoed.

"Brother," Ivar said. I moved away from Hvitserk so Ivar can talk, "I won't beg you to listen, I'm asking you to protect our home in case Yrsa and I can't hold down the battlefield."

Hvitserk saw reason in Ivar's response, although Hvitserk is stubborn and still needs convincing. I came close to him and said,

"You'll still fight, I promise you that, but please listen to your King and Queen," I said. "Please listen to your brother and sister..." I whispered.

Hvitserk's expression changed as he nodded in agreement, I sighed out relief and gave him a hug. Hvitserk gently glided his arms around me as not to disrespect his brother's wife.

"We love you, Hvitserk," I said, pulling away and seeing his puppy dog expression come back to him. He gently smiled as he looked over at his brother with a tear coming down his face.

The way things will be set up is we will have boats on the boards of Kattegat, that is Hvitserk will be stationed. Ivar and I will go out more into the grassy plains where I know Bjorn will be. Bjorn likes dry land to fight over the water. Ivar is the same way. Although for a day and a half we must set sail to reach the plains before Bjorn does.

"Ubbe and Torvi will be there," Hvitserk said.

"I'm not worried about Ubbe, he is soft and wounded still from defending Wessex," Ivar said. "Did I not tell you settling down and milking cows will make us soft?" Ivar continued.

"When you are a father, Ivar, will you jump on a boat just like Ragnar did?" Hvitserk said.

Ivar sighed. He leaned on the table as he looked at the lite candle.

"I fear children are out of my reach," Ivar whispered.

"What of Torvi?" Hvitserk said. "You leave the bitch to me," I said, looking over to Ivar. He looked at me as I smiled, he smiled back at me.

I walked over to Ivar and leaned over, "I just hope you know you will be going against your brothers, your flesh and blood, and I hope you know you could lose them," I said softly.

"I could lose you too," he said getting up, "I could lose, Hvitserk too." "You don't think all this has passed my thoughts?" Ivar said.

Ivar's face hardens as he grasped my face in his hands, "If only I could ask you to stay behind with Hvitserk..."

"Maybe it is for the best," Hvitserk said. I turned around to see Hvitserk is serious about this.

"I will watch her, Ivar, no harm will come to her. I won't allow it," Hvitserk said, approaching us.

"No!" I protested, turning to Ivar.

"You will be safer with Hvitserk," Ivar said, grasping my face. I grunted, backing a little into Hvitserk.

"No! I want to stay with my husband!"

Ivar grunted going to his throne, he sat down, cringing in pain. "Hvitserk, my brother, will you protect her?"

Hvitserk approached Ivar and said, "I will protect her to my last breath..." Hvitserk said. I couldn't believe what I was hearing as I stormed out of the room. I made my way to the docks and let out a loud scream. I stayed there until my temper cooled. It took hours for my face to calm itself.

--

"You promise me on our mother and father you will protect her?" I asked Hvitserk. I love my wife. I love her more than all the gold in the world. The last couple of days I worried about her safety on the battlefield, and when Hvitserk offered his protection; I knew it'd be perfect.

Hvitserk approached me, taking his two fingers and dipping it in the blessed blood beside him. He then ran the blood down my forehead to the bridge of my nose. Hvitserk then leaned over and said,

"She'll be my first priority," Hvitserk said softly.

He then turned and went down the steps. I knew then that my brother was in love with my wife. I felt it in my gut and my gut is always right. I knew that if something were to happen to me, he would take care of her. I've seen Hvitserk's kinder side and although I'm not thrilled with the idea, it did give me some peace of mind.

--

Ivar came out to the docks and sat down next to me, "I'm insulted," Ivar said.

"You're insulted?"

"Yes, you insult my love for you," Ivar said, not looking at me.

"And you insult my strength to protect you," I said.

"My love," Ivar said, moving my chin to him. "Do not fear for my safety," Ivar said.

I scoffed, "What if your leg breaks? Your eyes turn lighter and lighter each passing sun, what if you don't come home? Am I to rule Kattegat all alone?" I said.

"I want to be with you on the battlefield!"

I could tell Ivar was getting impatient with my attitude and I quickly retreated (I shut my mouth).

"Just please do what I say," Ivar asked. "I'm begging you once and only once."

I had to respect my King and my husband, "I'm afraid," I said.

"I've never been afraid," I closed my eyes.

Ivar sniffled as he pulled me close to him, "It's alright." I rested my head on his shoulder.

"No matter what you'll be taken care of, I promise."