Chapter Sixteen

CHapter sixteen

Dawn had started to break over the horizon casting some light on our horrible journey. Ivar and I were nearly frozen, our faces were broken and bleeding from the frost. Our asses sored from the horses, and our voice boxes pained from calling Hvitserk, but we were determined to find him. Dead or alive.

Ivar had the notion that Hvitserk went to his mother's grave. It is the only place that he would feel safe. It's far, away from the world and they say Aslung's magic is still worked from her grave. I stopped and finally got off my horse. I noticed fresh tracks made by a human. Ivar followed closely behind me as we followed the tracks. I looked up to see Hvitserk laying on a large piece of wood. By now Ivar is far behind me.

I turned away and called out, "I found him!"

I rushed over to Hvitserk who was nearly frozen to death. His face was white and his eyes were frozen shut. He barely breathed at all, and his body lied limp as I picked him up in my arms. Within minutes Ivar managed to crawl by my side. We were panicking to see if Hvitserk was alive.

"He is alive?" Ivar whimpered.

"I'm not sure," I said, placing my hood over him, Ivar struggled to get his off to give to me. I placed his around Hvitserk's head and began to rub his body down.

"Don't die on me, Hvitserk," Ivar cried.

"Ivar, make a fire," I turned to him and said, I was much calmer for both of their sakes.

Ivar did not hesitate as he began to collect wood.

"Hvitserk, Hvitserk," I said, holding his face in my hands, He slowly opened his eyes and moaned.

"Hvitserk," I whispered. He tried to take deep breaths, but only could cough at the moment. He laid his head on my chest as I sighed in relief.

"My Hvitserk, hold on," I whispered to him.

Within minutes Ivar had a large fire roaring and we made a small camp for the three of us. Ivar crawled over to his brother and laid next to him, he put Hvitserk's weak arm over him and pulled his older brother close. He cried to himself, and said,

"I need you, brother, I have no one else, please don't leave me in this life alone."

I couldn't help but to weep for my husband. I never knew how much he loved Hvitserk. I went over to Hvitserk and caressed his hair, hoping he would stare a little. For only a little I would be grateful for. He moaned softly, following his eyes fluttering open wide. He looked over to me and mumbled,

"I'm cold."

"I know," I muttered, "It'll pass, Hvitserk."

He turned his head over and laid it on Ivar's head, Ivar was sound asleep as Hvitserk pulled his baby brother close to him. I stayed up and watched while making some breakfast. Never in my life have I seen such an opposite pair.

We couldn't stay forever in the forest, eventually we would have to go home. Hvitserk was still very weak as we settled him on my horse. He sat in the back of me as he laid his head down on my shoulder. Ivar led the way home. It was quiet for the most part between Ivar and I. On my part, I could hear Hvitserk's labored breathing and the growling of his stomach.

"You should've left me..." Hvitserk mumbled in my ear.

"Ivar was not going to give up on you," I whispered. I looked over to see Ivar was concentrating on going home.

"I don't think I was going too either," I said.

"Bjorn-" Hvitserk was going to speak when he fell unconscious on my shoulder.

When we got back to Kattegat, new snow had started to fall and a storm was brewing. We settled Hvitserk in Ivar's room and in his bed. As I got Hvitserk dry clothes to wear, Ivar sat over him. Hvitserk slowly woke and smiled weakly at Ivar. Ivar smiled back,

"You stupid bastard, don't ever say that I should leave you," Ivar said.

"Bjorn will come back to Kattegat and raid the town..." Hvitserk said weakly, "He will find me..."

Ivar leaned over, "He will have to kill me first," "and me too," I said, coming over to the bed.

"These are Ivar's, but they will fit you," I said, sitting down. Ivar had tears coming down his face. I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

"Don't worry now, he's safe here." I help Hvitserk in his clean clothes and let him rest. When he wakes he'll be much better.

I went out into the throne room where Ivar was sitting. I stood in front of him as he sat puzzled.

"I can't thank you enough for being kind to my brother," Ivar mumbled. "If only I had half the heart you have."

I stepped up to him and said, "You have a much stronger heart than I do." I approached him and sat at the foot of his legs.

"If Bjorn comes back we would have to strengthen our defenses," Ivar said.

"Winter is here, Bjorn would not strike now," I said.

Ivar chuckled, "Yes," he said, getting on the floor. "Yes, right now-" Ivar wrapped his arms around me.

"Right now, we have a wedding to plan out," Ivar said. His demeanor became light, now that his brother is in arms reach.

While Hvitserk continued to sleep in Ivar's bed, we slept together in the small room he slept in his childhood. Well, Ivar was sleeping. He is exhausted. I stayed up still as he curled under my arms. I thought of a strategy carefully, in case Bjorn tries to be sneaky. Ivar and Hvitserk are my family, and I will do anything to protect them.