Season 2 Episode Fourteen

Season 2

Chapter Fourteen

It is an early fall morning in Kattegat. Women are picking pumpkins in the fields, corn is the new currency among the fish, and comfort spices fill the air with such a delightful scent. The smell of the ocean did not compliment the smell, but one grew used to it. While all of Kattegat enjoys the festivities, my marriage was failing.

Ivar and I sat down to an early breakfast, we have been distant, trying for a child has made us turn against each other. Ivar cleared his throat,

"I'm going to lay down, I'm not hungry." He struggled to get up and began to walk towards the door.

"You do not want to spend the morning with me?" I asked.

He turned swiftly, "No, I don't think I'll spend the morning with you!" He said, sarcastically.

"You don't have to be mean about it!"

"You know I could have a thousand wives that could give me a son, but you, why not you?"

I got up slamming my hand down to the table, "Yes, and you married me! It's not my fault we are childless!"

Ivar threw his fist down on the table, "Yes, it is!"

I gasped as his fist came down and hurt by his words, he knew what he said got to me, and I quickly walked out of the Great Hall leaving him there.

I began to hysterically cry as I ran through the streets of Kattegat. I suddenly bumped into Hvitserk, but I did not waste time as I tried to getaway.

"Hey, hey, hey," Hvitserk said. He put his hand around my face and wiped my tears with his thumb.

"What happened?" He whispered.

"He is truly a monster, Hvitserk!" I cried, he sighed, "Ivar?"

I nodded, he sighed again, giving me a tight hug, "He is just as frustrated as you, I'm sure." I laid my head on his shoulder and sighed deeply.

"Come, let's find a place to talk, privately, there are eyes here." I picked my head up to see the people were staring at us.

Hvitserk and I went to our favorite spot, and everything seemed to slip away. I like being around Hvitserk. He is fun, he likes to climb the trees and hang from them as I pass by. I noticed he goes out of his way to make me smile. As we came to the cliff I sat in my spot in the flowers and he started throwing stones into the sea.

"Whatever happened to Thora?" I asked he sighed, putting his head down.

"We weren't meant for each other."

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't know," I said, getting up.

"It's fine, there is one girl I see, but-" Hvitserk stopped throwing a bigger rock into the sea.

"But?"

"She is unavailable," he said. "You're the Prince, you can simply take her," I declared.

He chuckled, "It is not that simple."

I licked my lips nodding, how I know I torture this poor boy, and I know I do and I don't know how to stop.

--

Ivar's P.O.V

Tears rolled down my cheeks and into my leftover stew as I began to regret my actions towards Yrsa this morning. The more and more I thought about it, the more it hurt me. I deserve it though, I have not been very supportive in this situation, and I know Yrsa has not enjoyed the sex. I knew that was going to happen and I do appreciate that she does not mention it.

I was in trouble. I know I was. All we've been doing is arguing and she is floating away from me. The other day, during sex I could tell she was in so much pain, and after we were done she took the sheets and slept in the other room. I knew it wasn't as pleasant for me and I hated that she put that on me. We fought all night for the sheets.

Three nights ago, I made a comment about how I had a hard time pushing into her, blaming her for my fault. "It's not my fault you're a cripple!"

I had to admit that stirred an old feeling in me, I wanted to hurt her, I felt like it was Sigurd making the comment towards me. I remember throwing a bowl at her as I fell to floor crawling after her as she ran, and then shouting,

"Sigurd!"

This isn't her fault, none of this is her fault. I've been a horrible husband, and I think having a child would destroy our marriage. A life without Yrsa will be an empty life, and I can't handle her being with another man. The mere thought sent shots into my heart and throughout my body.

"Ow," I groaned softly, rubbing my legs. Even my legs felt that heartbreak.

"I need to talk to her," I said, getting up. I went to the small garden we have in the back and picked some flowers for her. She likes yellow honeysuckle and white daisies, she puts them everywhere! She puts them by my bedside every morning, they've been easing my pain when my eyes turn icy.

I made my way to Hvitserk's house, she always runs to my brother when things go wrong. I picked my head up to see her and Hvitserk walking down the road together. She was smiling and laughing with him. It bothers me that Hvitserk dumped Thora and I know why nothing would get rid of my brother's feelings for my wife.

I walked over to Yrsa with my head down and handed her the flowers, "You know it gets rid of my pain, and I hope it gets rid of yours," I said. She took them, she seemed surprised by my act. She put them to her nose and smiled, looking over to Hvitserk.

"Well, little brother it seems you do have a soft heart behind that hard exterior."

"I can be just as romantic as you!" I said.

"You both are so handsome, and kind, I know women envy that I have Ivar and they crave Hvitserk because he's a bachelor."

Hvitserk laughed, as he blushed. Only Yrsa could make him do that. I then suddenly had a crazy idea. Odin struck me like a bolt of lighting, only he could come up with this idea.

I know a way how Yrsa can conceive a child. In many ways, it is a good idea and I don't see any fault in it and it does not bother me in the least bit. It would solve my problems for both Hvitserk and my having a child with my wife. I knew it would work.

I have an idea.