Season 2 Episode Eighteen

Season 2

Chapter Eighteen

"Hold still, Ivar!" I said as I braided his hair. He never sits still, and I worry my child will be just as definite.

"Ow!" He cried. Today is a special day, Ivar will be touring new territory around Kattegat. We are planning to expand even further into the water. It is a big step for the young King. He hopes that he'll pass that little expansion to our child.

"Must it be so tight though?" He laughed, "Your hair is very soft, it needs to be tightened in your braid otherwise by the end of the day it's going to fall out of shape."

He laughed, getting up to check himself in the mirror.

"I have a gift for you, husband," I said, getting up. I now sympathize with Ivar and his struggle to stand.

I took out of my pocket a necklace made of ivory as I put it around his neck. It compliments his skin tone very well.

"Oh, it is beautiful!" I said, looking at him. "What is this emblem?" Ivar asked.

"It will bring you good fortune, a Budda man said that to me."

Ivar smiled holding the necklace in the palm of his hands, Ivar is like his father, he defies the Gods.

"It is beautiful!" He said, kissing me.

"I have a surprise for you," Ivar said.

"Oh?"

"Yes." Hvitserk came in as he smiled at me. I haven't seen him in a while, he has been busy on the docks.

"Hvitserk!" I said, hugging him.

"Hello!" He said, he looked at me and said, "You grow larger each day, I heard you might have twins!"

I looked over at Ivar who smirked, "So I've heard from the Gods!"

"Hvitserk will be with you today until I come home later," Ivar said.

I looked at Ivar, "I know when I'm gone for long periods of time you are lonely, and I know the slaves-" he looked over at the slave girls huddled together.

"They are not the best of company, and I thought why not someone who you are most comfortable with."

I smiled looking back at Hvitserk. I knew Ivar was not happy about the arrangement, and he knows very well by now about Hvitserk's feelings towards me. Although he trusts his brother and he trusts me. He knows Hvtiserk won't try anything. That's how much Hivtserk loves Ivar.

--

"How does it feel to be captain of Ivar's great army?" I asked, Hvitserk as we walked through Kattegat. Hvitserk smiled, looking down. He has changed a lot since becoming a leader. His hair is much neater, he wears royal clothing, and he is much more confident when he talks. Although the old Hvitserk is very much percent. He is always haunted.

"An honor you two have bestowed upon me in which I take seriously," Hvitserk said.

"I can tell, I don't see you as much," I said.

"Yeah, I've been meaning to make more time, and when the baby is born I will like to step down," Hvitserk said.

I nodded, "You talk as if you are the father of the child."

"I can't help but to think that is my child," He said. "After all, I conceived it with you."

We turned the corner to a more private area, "We can't ignore the fact that is my child."

"My theory has just been proven," I said.

"What?"

"That you are jealous that this is going to be Ivar's child with me and not yours," I said, as we stopped to face each other.

He sighed, "It is only natural for me to think so."

"Then if you knew that why did you agree with Ivar to help him have a child with me?" I asked.

"For many reasons, my love."

"At first, when he found out I was in love with you, I was afraid for my head, then when he granted me permission to sleep in the bed with you, I figured maybe that will break the spell. I know you are not a witch, Yrsa, but you do have a hold over me," Hvitserk said.

"Then I thought, if it's not a spell, at least I can have one time with the woman I love."

His fingers grazed my cheek, "This is not a spell, Yrsa. I try everything to forget you, but you are always there," He continued to say.

"I can't help, but to think that it is my child growing in you." "Forgive me, for a fool I'm," he whispered.

I placed my hand on his, "You are not a fool, Hvitserk," I removed his hand, as I cleared my throat.

"You're a good man, and I'm sorry if I caused you any pain."

He chuckled, "No, no, you did not, you could cause me any pain, not like Ivar."

"I love my husband, I can't punish him for things that I don't know of in the past."

"No, I love Ivar too, and I've forgiven him but I never forgot anything," "Don't punish him."

"This is enough of a punishment in my book," He said, glaring down.

I laughed turning my back, "You are truly a Viking, Hvitserk, I bet you miss the raidings."

"Yes, yes I do, and when the time comes," Hvitserk said, catching up to me, "When my niece or nephew is grown I will take them raiding all the time!" He said he wanted to place his arm around me, but he hesitated. I couldn't help but to laugh. I miss raiding.

At the end of the day, I fell asleep at home, Hvitserk stood guard over me. Before he left, I called to him,

"Hvitserk?" He walked back over to me and sat down.

"Yes?" He asked.

I opened my eyes, "I know what I'm about to ask you is a great deal, but please do try."

"If I have to rip out my heart for you, I would instantly," Hvitserk said.

I smiled, "Please, forget about all that pain, please look forward now to your bright future." "I know what Ivar has done is unforgivable, but please do try."

Hvitserk took my hand in his and placed a kiss on it, "On my life, on my honor, and soul I promise you I will make it my mission. If this makes you happy, I will."

"My only happiness is your happiness, I can see it."

Hvitserk smiled brightly. I can only imagine the child having Hvitserk's smile.