Chapter 71

A/N

Break My Heart Right by one of my favorite singers for this one.

February

February

Right jab. Left cross. Right hook.

Left jab. Right cross. Left uppercut.

I repeated the same motions countless times in a row, punching the worn leather of the bag in front of me with purpose.

My goal was to forget.

I wanted to forget the email from the laboratory in which they confirmed that Steve Donovan was, indeed, my father.

I would give anything to unread my mother's fake pleas to reconsider my decision and allow both of them to be a part of my life. Steve had always wanted to have children. My mother would do anything to please him, hence her insistence on making me talk to the person I despised.

I felt sick.

Another image appeared in front of my eyes — Raymond Hutches, stuffing his belongings in a cardboard box at his office. He quit his job and accepted a worse-paid position in a small town close to Southville.

The detective told me he didn't feel comfortable working under Steve Donovan anymore, not after my father's suicide. My father, Daniel, didn't lie. Abby's death was a cruel, unfortunate accident, but not a murder.

Raymond Hutches was a decent man, unlike the one my mother lived with. He told me he was looking forward to starting over in a small town. The guy wanted to make a difference by working where people needed him the most.

I called Samantha and told her the truth about Abby's death. I knew it brought her relief and closure.

Ellie learned about it, too.

Ellie.

My girl.

Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I aimed for the bag one more time.

My muscles ached from the exertion. It'd been fourteen days — two weeks of little to no sleep, black coffee instead of food, and spending hours at the gym.

I'd never felt so lost and enraged. I was afraid of turning into an asshole who lashed out at people and blamed everyone for the darkness within him.

I did things I never thought I'd do.

I asked Ellie to give me time. I needed to process everything, to accept my new reality. She deserved better than this pissed off, hurt version of me. How could she like it if I hated it myself?

"I think it's enough for today."

Jeff's tattooed forearm flashed in front of my face seconds before he gripped the swaying bag, halting its movements.