Chapter 11

September

September

"They want to make it green, Darren. If the money's not enough, negotiate. I'm telling you – these are the requirements."

Ollie slid the papers closer to Darren, who crossed his arms, frowning. "Are you sure there isn't any other way?"

"Yes!" Olivier groaned. "Do you think I'm the one to decide? It's what the customer wants. It's always the same — they want the best solution on a limited budget."

"What if we —"

"Guys, sorry to interrupt. I know it's important, but I need to go. Tim's waiting; I don't have anyone to stay with him today." Liam sighed.

Darren and Ollie looked at him.

"Sure, go. We'll manage from here. Aiden, can you bring those spreadsheets of yours?"

Since the start of the project, we'd been working like crazy. It was seven already, and I braced myself for another hour at the office.

My head ached, because on top of it all, the classes at the school of architecture started, and although I did everything online, the amount of reading was impressive. Ollie helped me with some concepts, but I needed time to process everything and get organized.

It was almost nine when I made it home. Leaving my bike at the garage, I went inside dreaming of a hot dish and a shower.

"Working late again?" Victor asked, tearing his eyes away from some papers he was reading.

"Yes. They sent more requirements late in the afternoon. More eco-friendly stuff to include."

"Darren must be going crazy with the budget planning."

"He agreed with Ollie for once. Let's wait until tomorrow."

"Those two." Victor shook his head, chuckling. "You must be hungry apart from tired. The dinner's ready, so leave those keys and come here."

"Damn." I felt the weight of the motorbike keys I was still holding. I must've been more tired than I thought.

I turned around and headed to the hall. I put the keys on the dresser...

...and halted.

My heartbeat seemed to slow down and then speed up.

My hands turned clammy.

My throat didn't want to let any air in.

I gripped the wooden surface staring at the infinity symbol on the thin chain.

My hand trembled as I picked it up, examining it. There was no doubt whose it was. Not when I bought it.

Like a robot, I walked into the kitchen.

"What is Ellie's bracelet doing here?" I asked Victor, my voice strained. "Victor, what's going on?"

He motioned me to sit down. I didn't.