Chapter 5

May

May

Two weeks passed since I started to work at the company. To say I was busy was an understatement. Apart from the eight hours of work, Liam tutored me until late in the evening. Thanks to that, I now could understand some basic French and say a couple of phrases well enough for people to get what I meant. The last couple of nights, I was so tired I fell asleep instantly, barely resting my head on the pillow.

This morning, I received another assignment from Darren as soon as I entered the office. I'd been engrossed in figures trying to calculate what he'd asked me to for a good couple of hours when I registered Olivier leaning against my desk.

"Damn, garçon (boy), take a break."

"I'm almost done." I rubbed my eyes, my stomach growling.

"We're going out for lunch and hope you'll join us. You can't survive on apples like you did last week."

I didn't want to tell him how important this job was to me and my future. It was my motivation and my shot at earning some money to go and see Ellie and stay in Rome long enough to convince her to forgive me. Besides, I genuinely liked what I was doing.

When I got ready to reply, I saw him looking at the photo on my desk.

"Who's that?"

"My girl." I couldn't help staring at Ellie in that red dress for the hundredth time.

"She's gorgeous. Damn, if I was younger..."

"She wouldn't look at you anyway, Ollie Mollie." Darren tore his eyes away from the monitor. "But dammit, she's gorgeous, alright."

"She is."

Each day it got increasingly harder for me to stop myself from taking that damn plane and going to look for her.

"She's a student, right?"

"Yeah." I gave a one-worded answer hoping they'd take the hint. They did.

"Let's go have lunch." Darren rubbed his palms together. "You too, Aiden. I give you assignments, but it's not about working ourselves to death. Thanks to Liam and you, Ollie and I can take it easy."

"You're welcome," Liam said, "just don't say that to the boss or he'll assign another project to you. Aiden, are you ready?"

I was planning to stay working over the lunch break, but seeing the three of them waiting for me made me change my mind.

I grabbed my phone and the wallet and followed the guys out of the office.

We ended up taking a table in a small restaurant across the street.

Olivier ordered lunch for all of us.

"So, how do you like it here?" he asked me.

"It's great. Different, but better than I'd thought."