Chapter 43

"Sit here

"Sit here." I led Liam into our bedroom and pointed to the bed. After rummaging in the bathroom cabinet, I found a small first aid kit. I had to get a decent one; just when I thought we wouldn't need it, shit with capital S happened.

"Aiden, it's nothing. Stop fretting."

"It's nothing? Dude, have you seen your face?"

Liam chuckled. "His was way worse."

"Dammit, don't feed me that bullshit."

"You're pissed."

I dipped a piece of sterile gauze in alcohol. "Pissed? I'm fucking livid. What the hell were you thinking?"

I started to clean the cut on Liam's face, making him wince. "Easy, it's painful as fuck."

"Didn't you say it was nothing? Shut up and let me fix it."

He kept quiet for precisely one moment. "And what is it that you wanted me to do? He was begging me to punch his arrogant mug. He disrespected Sky, Aiden, he hurt her, and he was talking shit about me. Was I supposed to sit there like a good boy and let him do it? Would you?"

"I'm not saying the motive wasn't valid." I went on to work on Liam's busted knuckles.

"Then what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that he knew what he was doing. He provoked you, dumbass, and he got you where he wanted you. And while you're sitting here, that asshole might be pressing charges for assault, because you hit him first in the restaurant full of witnesses."

"He wouldn't do that. He's too much of a coward."

"What if he's not, huh? Did you think about Tim?"

Groaning, Liam buried his face in his palms. "Fuck."

"Exactly."

"What can I do?"

"We're going to talk to everyone at the office first thing in the morning. You'll tell them what went on in case that piece of shit runs his mouth. And start thinking about the story you'll tell your brother and Sky."

"Sky can't know any of it."

I put away the kit and turned to face my friend. "I'll fix us something to eat. Ellie has classes till late, and then she was going to hang out with Sky."

Liam followed me to the kitchen, mumbling, "Thank fuck for Tim's afternoon soccer practice."

I was going to get something from the fridge when a sticky note called my attention.

I love you, handsome. Looking forward to tonight.

My lips split into a smile. I took off the paper square and left it on the table.

"What's tonight?" Liam asked.

"A movie night with Ellie."

I made two sandwiches. Liam bit into his as if he hadn't eaten all day. Adrenaline would do that to you.