Chapter 15

September

September

There wasn't anything I wanted more than kiss her. Since April,  every day and especially every night, I'd been dying to do it.

But it was wrong.

I needed to make sure she forgave me. I needed to tell her what happened. I couldn't do it while she was sick in bed. It wouldn't be right or fair.

I leaned down and gently pressed my lips to Ellie's forehead. It was still hot, but not as hot as it used to be.

"I'll bring you dinner because it's time for your medication, okay?"

Ellie nodded.

This time, I gave her a different thing to eat. It was one of the French dishes, quite nourishing and with the right mix of meat and vegetables. I smiled at the small moans escaping her lips while she ate.

"Aren't you eating?" asked Ellie.

"I'll do it later."

"Do it now."

I got myself a helping, and we had dinner together on her bed — just like we used to.

"I need to use the bathroom and get ready for bed," Ellie said.

I went to the kitchen to take care of the dishes and make some tea.

When I was back, I noticed she'd showered and changed into a short nightie I didn't remember seeing on her. I mentally scolded myself for the far from innocent thoughts that plagued my brain.

Ellie took the meds, and we had tea together, saying nothing. We never had problems with silence. Most of the time, I'd swear I knew what she was thinking by just looking at her. Now the air was filled with the heavy weight of the unsaid things and four months being apart.

"Are you staying?"

I looked at Ellie, trying to guess whether she wanted me to stay, or it was just her way of telling me to leave.

"If you are, you can sleep here next to me. The bed is big, and I don't mind."

"Are you sure it's okay?"

"I am."

I didn't know what to make of it.

"There's a new toothbrush in the cabinet. Take it. And if you want to take a shower, the towels are under the sink."