Chapter 9

August

August

When our neighbor was back, she brought a bottle of wine. We had dinner on the terrace, and after talking about flowers and garden stuff, I learned Sylvie was a doctor, had her clinic, and was divorced. Her son chose the same profession, and right now, he was an intern in Chicago. She had him really young, around the same age Victor was when he had Thierry, although Sylvie was only fifty.

When we were done eating, I left them having a glass of wine and went to my room.

Victor came to see me later.

"A nice evening, huh?" He leaned against the terrace door looking in the direction of our neighbor's house.

I chuckled. Victor came up to me and ruffled my hair. "What did you think of Sylvie?"

"She's nice. Cooks well."

"I'm nice, too, aren't I?" Victor winked.

"Since you're my boss, I can only say yes."

"At home, I'm not. At home, we're family."

Taking advantage of his disposition, I decided to raise the topic of Italy.

"Victor, I know I'm new in the company, but I was wondering if I could take a couple of days off in September."

"Any trip you want to make?" He focused his eyes on me.

"I want to go to Rome to finally talk to Ellie. It's been too long. I can't wait longer. I need her to forgive me before she moves on. I miss her, and once her classes start, I'd like to visit her."

"I heard some talk at the office..." Victor said, smiling.

Crap. If Darren ran his mouth saying Victor had a lady friend, we were in deep shit.

"What kind of?"

"The tattoo you've got." He sat on a patio chair next to me.

I groaned, making him laugh.

"Darren, right?"

"Who else?" Victor snickered. "He's a great professional and a great guy, Aiden, but he loves office gossip. Will you show me?"

I did, not having another choice.

"Still in love, aren't you?"

"I guess I've been since I met her. And if Ellie doesn't forgive me, I honestly don't know what I'll do."

"Regardless of what happens tomorrow with that project you've been working so hard to get, you'll be able to take some time off. I wanted to apologize I haven't been home much lately; I had to take care of some business."

"Thanks, and it's okay. I was busy with all the homework Liam gave me anyway."

"The two of you are good friends now, I can see."