Chapter 3

After a couple of weeks of studying and completing all the assignments, which turned out to be not as many as I'd feared, I did the exams

Thierry supported me through it all. I got used to our chats in the evening. More than that, I was looking forward to seeing him tonight, knowing he'd tell me how Ellie was.

I cooked him dinner and sat in the kitchen, waiting.

I knew something was wrong as soon as he came home.

"Hey," I greeted him. "I don't know if you've eaten, I made dinner."

"Thanks, Aiden."

He went to get the plates and the silverware, but I didn't let him.

"I'll do it. Is everything alright?"

"Not really. I got a call from France."

"Is it Victor?" I feared the worst. Thierry's dad was great, and I genuinely liked him.

"No. Fortunately, he's okay. It's Jean. His wife called me to tell he'd had a heart attack."

"I'm sorry. Will he be alright?"

"If he slows down and lets the doctors do their job, he will. He was working like a madman. At some point, you need to learn to delegate. Well, enough of sad stuff. Any news?"

"I've got some more rejections. I also paid the debt; I went to see the owner today."

"Good. What about school?"

"It's done. They'll mail the grades and the documents."

"The all-nighters you pulled studying paid off, then?"

"Guess so."

Studying was only one of the reasons why I'd stayed up every night. Nightmares and dreams about leaving Ellie was another one.

I tried my pasta. It wasn't as good as Thierry's, but judging by the appetite he ate it with, I figured it wasn't bad.

"I'm proud of you." He smiled. "And this stuff is good. Really good."

Coming from a chef, that was the compliment not to be taken lightly.

"Thanks. Did you hear from Louise?"

"Yes, about that. It looks like their uncle's leaving tomorrow. And after dinner, I wanted to talk to you."

We finished eating and went to the library. Thierry poured himself a shot of something. We sat down.

"I'll have to go to Paris. Jean is going to have to rest for a couple of weeks. That restaurant of his is his life. He has an assistant, but the man is new. He doesn't know how that place works as well as I do. I want to help him. How many rejections did you get?"

I didn't see where he was heading. "More than two hundred. Why?"

"I want you to come with me. More than that, I want you to move to Paris."