Chapter 49

November

November

"I'm beat, man." Liam unlocked the foyer door, and we made our way in. "It's been great, but I'm so freaking happy to be back."

"Yeah, me too." I pressed the button to call the elevator and rotated my shoulders. Every muscle in my body felt stiff after the day we'd spent driving from the South.

Too tired to talk, we silently ascended to our respective floors.

"Night, Aiden." Liam bumped my fist with his and stepped out of the cabin.

"Night." I found it impossible to stifle a yawn.

The machine stopped at our floor. I inserted my key in the lock and let myself into the warmth of our apartment. The clock on the wall told me it was already midnight. Trying not to make noise, I took off my shoes, placing them on the rack, and hung my coat by the door. My duffel bag landed on the carpeted floor with a soft thud. I'd take care of it later because seeing her was what I longed for.

Ellie wasn't in our bed. Confused, I pushed the door of the study open, scanning the space for my girl. My lips stretched in a grin when my eyes landed on the plush couch.

Ellie was curled up into a ball wearing nothing but a pair of panties and my t-shirt with her hands folded under her cheek.

Candy wrappers littered the couch around her, and I counted three empty tea mugs on the desk. She must have been working on the illustrations before falling asleep, judging by the stack of fashion magazines next to some unfinished sketches.

I was proud of her.

She'd never back down from a challenge, no matter how hard it was, and I admired how passionate she was about the things she loved.

Silently, I made my way to the bathroom. After washing the sweat and the long-ass day off my body, I put on some boxers and went to join Ellie.

She let out a content sigh when I lay down beside her and pulled her into my arms, hugging her to me and wrapping us both in a warm blanket.

With my girl's breath fanning over my skin, and her warmth sipping into my every pore, I felt myself relax.

I gave her a soft, feather-like kiss before drifting off to sleep with the only thought on my mind: I was home.

***

There was nothing like waking up to Ellie's kisses.

"Welcome home." Ellie pressed her lips to my neck and gave it a small peck.

I lowered my hand to cup her lace-covered bum and bring her closer to me. "Thanks, baby. Did you miss me?"

She looked up at me, beaming. "Can't you tell?"

"Maybe," I teased.

"I did. Every day." Ellie went on to kiss my lips, molding her body to mine.