Chapter 41

A/N 

I decided to do an extra update today because Friday's chapter will be eventful. So, here we go. Let me know what you think. One of my favorite songs on top.

October

I sat on the bed with my back to the headboard

I sat on the bed with my back to the headboard. Aiden made himself comfortable lying with his head placed in my lap. I'd talked him into throwing on a t-shirt so that he wouldn't catch a cold, he smiled saying I was babying him. Maybe I was, and perhaps I did that because of so many times he'd done the same for me.

I listened to the rain as it spattered against the window, running my fingers through Aiden's damp hair.

"I kind of got promoted to a junior manager today," Aiden said.

"What?! For real?!"

He nodded, and I searched his eyes for any signs of joy but didn't find the same excitement he could see in mine. "Aren't you happy?"

"They offered it to Liam and me. I don't even know whether he accepted— I rushed out of the meeting room in the most pathetic way, saying I'd work from home and leaving my laptop at the office. A fucking genius." He groaned.

"Didn't you say yes?" I outlined his jaw with my fingertips smiling as Aiden tried to kiss my hand.

"I said I needed time to think about it."

"Okay, but I don't quite get it. I guess it's a better position, right? You'll have more responsibilities for sure, and maybe even earn more money. And if they chose you guys, that's because they trust you."

"I'd be in charge of the financial side of the projects," Aiden said. "I heard Darren say it, and suddenly he was back in my head, my father. And it's weird because I remembered he used to tell me I was good at numbers. Before I turned fifteen, that is. So, I sat there, and all those memories kept popping up. Not bad memories, you know? Just a few good ones, maybe the only good ones I have of him. And after I thought, damn, he robbed people of their money, and I'm his son, Ellie. I want nothing to do with him, and I would be doing the one thing my father was good at. How he used it is loathsome, but he was good. He wanted me to follow in his footsteps, and it feels like I will if I accept."

"You're not him."

"What if someone knows the story, Ellie? What if I get pointed at because, by some fucking coincidence, a customer googles me and finds that dirt online? What if they believe I'm capable of fraud and will be just like my father, just like all the detestable things those articles said?"

"Baby, the chances of that happening are slim. People move on; who would stalk you online anyway? They'll judge you by your work, and you'll do great, I know it. It's time you believed you're worthy of a promotion and tons of other good things. Look at how hard you work. I don't know any other guy who does what you do at your age — it's way more common to party and get drunk than to be a manager at eighteen. You should accept it and be proud of yourself. I am so damn proud of you."