Chapter 6

August

August

"Honey, that noise is deafening!" Louise said as soon as I'd closed my dorm room door.

"Yeah, tell me something I don't know. There's a party! Another one! Yay!"

"What, you're not gonna stop by and check it out?"

I scrunched up my nose, making my mom laugh.

"You have to live a little, honey. Maybe you'll make new friends."

"I will, once the school year starts. I hope so, at least."

"And what about the weather?"

I admired Louise's tan and glowing face. It was clear that Thierry and my mom spent lots of time on the beach. The photos she sent me day in day out were proof of that.

"It's been hot."

"Baby, you're pale. Are you sure you're eating well?"

"I am, mom, it's just that we get tons of French assignments, and I spend lots of time in the library. The temp is too high to be outside anyway."

"Well, I just want to make sure you're taking care of yourself. Have I told you Sam and Michael are coming for dinner tonight? Speaking of tonight, Thierry will be here in twenty to help me get everything ready, and I have to get dressed. Text me if you finally decide to go and have fun."

"I will. Love you! Say hi to everyone."

"Love you more and miss you like crazy." Louise blew me a kiss before we hung up.

I closed my laptop and breathed out, relieved.

Lying was exhausting.

And I'd been doing it since June.

I loved the city. It was breathtakingly beautiful, lively, and traditional with a touch of modern. There were hundreds of things to do, hundreds of places to visit, and landmarks to see. I particularly loved the Louvre and the Luxembourg Palace with its magnificent garden.

I spent many afternoons drawing and painting in the shade of the trees there.

The problem was, I felt homesick and lonely. I missed Louise's chatter and my room. I missed the ocean.

And although I hated myself for being weak, I missed Aiden.

I hadn't heard from him, and Jim hadn't, either. That could mean only one thing: he moved on. He moved on, while I still cried on some nights when his absence hurt too much.

French rap blasted from the speakers in the room down the hall. I turned off the lights, undressed, and slid under the covers hoping to be able to sleep.

The following morning the buzzing of my phone woke me up.

"Good morning, chérie!" Victor's voice was too loud for my rap-induced headache. "You remember it's Saturday, don't you?"