Chapter 26

September

September

"He's been training in the beast mode since he arrived." Jeff nodded at where Liam was doing pull-ups on a bar. "Rough day at the office?"

"Nothing like that." I observed my friend, sliding on the gloves. "It was really quiet, in fact."

"The kid's doing great, right?"

"Yeah, Tim's already made a few friends at school. What time did you say Liam got here?"

"An hour ago, and he hasn't talked to me since. He went straight to that bag of yours, then lifting, and now this. Girl trouble?"

"Not that I'm aware of. I'll talk to him. Thanks, Jeff."

"Welcome. Enjoy."

Liam nodded, acknowledging me. I started to warm up before going into my usual routine.

We finished work early. Ellie needed to study, and I'd hardly been to the gym in a week, so I decided to take advantage. I had no idea Liam would be here as well. He had to go to a meeting downtown, and I hadn't seen him since morning.

In a while, when my muscles felt sore, I decided to take a break. Getting a bottle of water for me, I handed Liam another one.

"Hydrate, or else you'll faint here."

He unscrewed the cap and gulped down all the liquid. Tossing the bottle into the bin, he turned his back to me muttering 'outside'.

I pulled on my T-shirt and followed him to the empty basketball court. The autumn was approaching fast. The fresh afternoon wind hit my overheated skin, making me shiver.

Liam sat in the bleachers and dropped his head into his hands.

I took a seat next to him. "Are you alright?"

"No."

"Tim?"

"Surprisingly, not Tim this time."

"Then what?"

"Who. Sky."

I waited for him to tell me more.

"Why do girls fall for pretentious pricks, Aiden? Why would any girl put up with some dude treating her like a piece of ass?"

"Explain?"

He smirked, staring in front of him.