Chapter 33

"I'm sorry for last night," Ellie said, looking at me over the rim of her mug

"I'm sorry for last night," Ellie said, looking at me over the rim of her mug. This morning, the driver of our company showed up way too early, barely giving us time to get dressed and ready to leave. Once in the city, we went to have breakfast at a small café near our company's office.

"There isn't a single damn thing you should be apologizing for."

"There kind of is," she fiddled with a napkin, "we wanted to walk on the beach and do other things, and I spent the whole evening and night sleeping."

"You were exhausted. The point of this vacation is to rest. Are you sure you don't want to go with me?"

"I am. I wanted to go shopping and try to find something for Sky's birthday. Liam's, too, although I'll need your help with that one. If I went with you, it'd be totally out of place."

"You'd never be out of place." I leaned over the table to peck Ellie's lips. "Wait for me until I pay, will you?"

Ellie pulled me to her by the collar of my shirt and gave me another kiss.

An older guy behind the bar counter smiled at me with just a corner of his mouth tipped up. It was impossible for him to miss our exchange, us being the only customers so early in the morning.

"First time on the island?" he asked, accepting my credit card.

"Yeah." I glanced at Ellie over my shoulder. She was distracted by studying the interior of the café.

"Let me guess, she's an artist," the man said, handing my credit card back to me.

"How did you know?" My eyes traveled from Ellie to his smiling face.

"My wife is, and she has exactly the same look every time we're somewhere new - as if she was trying to memorize everything. Are you going to stay here long?"

"Two weeks. We haven't seen much yet."

A newly arrived couple with cameras hanging around their necks signaled for the man to come up to them. "Wait a minute." He went to take their order, giving me time to shove the card back in my wallet.

"So, if you haven't seen anything, take these," the man retrieved a couple of leaflets from somewhere and handed them to me once he was back. "I usually give them to tourists. But this," he reached into a drawer to take another card, "is a good friend's place - close to the beach, not touristy, the food and drinks are excellent. If you need a special place, call and tell him Jacque recommended it to you. He'll have a table for sure."

"Thanks, that helps a lot." I smiled, accepting the glossy piece of carton.

"Not at all. Enjoy your stay and watch that beautiful girl of yours." He winked at me.

I got back to our table, where Ellie was now typing something on her phone, frowning at the screen.

"Just a second. I was texting Sky."