Chapter 35

A/N Kind of steamy loving ahead

A/N
Kind of steamy loving ahead...
"Just Say Yes" by Boyce Avenue on top. Love this cover.

His hands shaking, Aiden took a small velvet box out of his pocket. And just a moment after, the last rays of the sun reflected off the heart-shaped stone.

"Will you marry me, Ellie?"

I sobbed, unable to utter a single word.

I'd never seen so much hope and vulnerability in Aiden's eyes as he waited for me to say something.

"Yes," I managed to answer through my tears.

"For real?" Aiden whispered, his voice unsteady.

Nodding, I waited for him to get up. Wiping at his eyes, Aiden took my hand in his, kissing it with trembling lips before he slid the ring on my finger.

I was in a daze. I couldn't believe Aiden had asked me to share my life with him, and although I knew his feelings for me were deep and genuine, nothing prepared me for this moment. The tears came again as I admired the ring. It was delicate and stunning, unlike any other I'd seen.

"I love you so much," Aiden whispered, taking my cheeks between his palms and kissing my lips.

"I love you," I managed to say, my voice still shaky.

"Are you okay?" Aiden wiped the tears off my cheeks, a tender smile playing on his lips as he took in the emotional mess I'd turned into.

"I am; I just didn't expect any of it."

Aiden touched my lips with his. "It's a good thing that you didn't. Come with me; I'd like to show you something."

Taking my hand in his, he led me away from the water and past the rocks.

"I don't want to be repetitive, but I'm going to ask you not to look. No scarves this time."

With his palms covering my eyes, we made a few more steps.

"Look now."

There was a blanket with some throw pillows on it and a picnic basket. That and the wood for a bonfire told me that Aiden had planned all of it in advance.

"I thought having dinner on the beach would be nice," he said.

"It's perfect."

Smiling at me shyly, he invited me to sit down next to him on the blanket.

The sun started to sink into the clouds, giving them an orange hue, and my eyes drifted to the jewel on my finger. It still felt surreal; I could barely wrap my head around the idea of what the ring represented and of what it meant for us.

Aiden reached into the picnic basket. "We've got some cheese, meat, fruit, champagne, and baguette."

"Very French," I teased. "Whatever you could've gotten would be perfect. I love all of it."