XIV- rarity

day 2

"Ah, shit." (Y/n) said as the rock she threw at the ocean didn't skim. "Let me try another one."

"We'd have to go back and get some more rocks." Owen gestured to his side where there was once a large pile of stones and was now empty.

(Y/n) told him not to worry about it and the two of them continued to talk for a while longer until a new voice entered the conversation.

"(Y/n)."

Both of them jumped, Owen almost falling off the jetty and (Y/n) letting out a high pitched sqeak when they heard the sudden raspy and cool voice.

They turned to see Hana who was standing right behind them on the wooden jetty. (Y/n) wondered how she had gotten so far along without her steps making the slightest noise.

"Hi, Hana." (Y/n) said once her heart rate had returned to normal after the small shock.

Owen didn't greet the other woman, he wasn't expecting the intrusion and wasn't particularly happy about it.

"You said once I was done working you'd come talk to me." Her face and voice conveyed very little emotion but her amber eyes held a soft pleading look.

"I... I did say that, didn't I?" (Y/n)'s gaze flicked between Owen and Hana. She was in the middle of a conversation with him but Hana was like a shy little puppy in that moment. "We'll catch up later, Owen." She looked to the ginger man apologetically but he didn't get to see that look as he was too busy glaring at Hana.

Hana slowly lifted the teacup to her lips at sipped at the hot liquid inside. Her eyes bored into (Y/n) who sat opposite her on one of the couches in the living room.

(Y/n) shifted a bit under Hana's harsh stare that felt like a bright spotlight shining on her. "So, what did you want to talk about?" She asked eventually to break the painful silence.

Hana's eyes widened and she placed the cup down on a coaster. "I don't know... I just like talking to you."

(Y/n) smiled softly, flattered that Hana would seek her out. "Well, you seem to like speaking about your mom."

Hana brushed some of the white wisps of hair that had fallen in front of her face at the mention of her mother. "I do, I suppose." She sighed lightly, there was so much to be said for her mother that she didn't know quite where to start. "We had a space rented in a community garden where we'd grow herbs for cooking and for her... well, she called it magic."

"Magic?" (Y/n) pushed herself forward to sit closer to the end of her seat, showing interest. Hana blinked a few times seeing (Y/n)'s clear curiosity, happy that she wasn't boring her.

"She follows this German-pagan religion, all of us did in the place where I lived ... We used to have these rituals with the community, it was pretty normal for me at the time. She'd do these charms but they're not asking for riches or love or anything, her magic would seek answers. I never really believed in it but that was just the way we lived." Hana explained carefully.

"That's fascinating." (Y/n) had truly never met someone quite like Hana, she supposed her reserved nature may be owed to her unconventional upbringing. "Did you ever try any of the...uh, the magic?"