{15} Naive

CHAPTER 15: NAIVE

❝her name is leah and she is the most beautiful girl to ever walk the earth. ❞

♫: 'So how could this be done
By such a smiling sweetheart
You're so naive yet so
You're such an ugly thing
For someone so beautiful' ~lily allen, naive

♫: 'So how could this be doneBy such a smiling sweetheartYou're so naive yet soYou're such an ugly thingFor someone so beautiful' ~lily allen, naive

PROFESSOR FONTAINE had told her everything. Everything he knew about her. Or well, everything he knew about her family.

Her deceased family.

She had hoped that maybe knowing of her heritage would fill the void in her soul. The void that was supposed to be filled with love from relatives, love from her parents. But even after a long history lesson about her family, the void was there. Still as deep, dark and mysterious as it was before.

She realised that names didn't mean anything. She would never feel the love of Thomas and Andreah Nightingale. Because they were dead.

They were gone and she hadn't even had a chance to meet them. She declared herself a fool for thinking the void would ever truly go away. She was still an orphan. She still had no family. No family left. No blood-related family, that is.

She kept the information she was given to herself. Not speaking to anyone of her heritage, or true blood status. As before, Leah was determined to prove that it didn't matter. That blood and status were just a social construct. From that day forward though, she carried her name with a sense of pride. She knew who she was. She knew where she came from.

"Can we be absolutely sure that I am...erm...a true Nightingale?" Headmaster Fontaine nodded in response to her questions, a warm smile present on his face.

"If you could state your full name for me? If it resembles the records that were found at Nightingale manor, we know for sure."

"Katherine Leah Nightingale."

"Remarkable." He said simply.

[⚕]

'To My Dear Nightingale,
I never meant for this to happen. I never meant for any of this to happen.'

The parchment was damaged, almost as if some sort of liquid had dropped onto it in certain places. Maybe the damage was not there prior to opening the letter. Maybe the damage was caused by her own tears. Maybe her trembling hands were what had caused the corners of the parchment to tear.

'We know it can't work. We know it's not meant to be. Yet we still seek refuge in the other. I still seek refuge with you.'

Raven was sat next to her, laying a hand on the other girl's shoulder in comfort. No words needed to be said between them. Raven wouldn't have known what to say. Her best friend was in too deep. She'd warned her several times, but Leah hadn't listened. She had dived head first into the rough ocean that made up Draco Malfoy and she was to be swallowed by the darkness that laid deep, deep within the Black Seas that guarded his soul.

'No one wants us together. The universe tries so hard to keep us away from each other. I can't risk your life, Leah. I care about it too much. Okay? I fucking care about you. Even though I shouldn't. Even though it's wrong. I have to stop. We have to stop. Please just, Give up on us. Give up on me. Move on. Be happy.'

"No." She quietly whispered, her voice broken.

'You'll be safer that way. You'll be safer away from me. If you trust me, you'll listen. If you care for me, you'll stay away. Far away. Please, Leah. You have to stay away from me.'

"No." She whispered again, broken still. She couldn't believe her eyes. What happened? Why was he suddenly in such danger? What the fuck had happened?

'We sought refuge where we weren't supposed to, Leah. Take care of yourself,
but please
stay away from me.

Sincerely yours, now and forever,
Draco M.'

[⚕]

He shut the window after he let out their family owl, sitting down on his bed. He had done the right thing. For the first time in his life, he had earned something. He had worked for something. Only for it to be taken from him in the most cruel way.

She was his sanctuary. His safe place. His refuge. And he knew, that he was hers too.

And it was bound to fail. He should've stopped himself in time. He should've backed off in time, but every time he tried, something pulled him back to her. Something he couldn't explain. Things just felt right with her. He felt accepted with her. He felt supported. He felt cared for in a way he had never felt cared for before.

Draco wouldn't use the L word. It was just not anywhere present in his personal dictionary, yet. He had learnt from a young age that love was fake. That it was a fairytale for muggles that were stupid enough to believe in it.

But as he sat in his room, alone, his home invaded and crawled with Death Eaters. He couldn't help but wonder.

Did he love the girl that went by Leah Nightingale?

"Draco dear? Dinner is finished." Narcissa Malfoy walked into her son's bedroom, a gentle smile on her face. Her smile faltering as she saw the look on her Draco's face. The once arrogant and spoilt pureblooded boy looked lost. Her bubbly young son had died a long time ago, his heart locked away for eternity, but now, it seemed that his soul too, was disappearing. His eyes were dull and empty. It shocked her.

He had given his soul to the girl he cared for. And he could only pray that she didn't break it. That she kept it safe.

Narcissa Malfoy wasn't born yesterday. She knew her son. She sat down next to him, a non judgemental look on her face.

"What's her name?" She asked softly, smiling gently.

"Leah." He replied, sucking in a sharp breath. "Her name is Leah and she is the most beautiful girl to ever walk the earth, mother."

"Oh Draco.." Mrs. Malfoy was startled by his confession, but took it for the truth as she saw the sorrowful look that clouded her son's face.

[⚕]

Regardless of her shattered heart, Leah was good. Her holiday was good. Raven's parents treated her like their own, and she could have not have been more grateful.

His heart was heavy and Draco Malfoy was not okay. His holiday was spent in fear as he saw everything he had ever known change. The father he knew, changed. The mother he knew, changed. He watched by in horror as he too, changed.

Her fifth year had been one for the books. One to be remembered. After all, it had been everything but uneventful. She'd met friends and enemies. She'd found love and friendship. She'd mended friendships. She'd loved.

His fifth year was bound to be one of the most defining of his life. Not yet reaching the top, but definitely high on the list. He had learnt so much. So much about subjects that went way beyond the halls and classrooms of Hogwarts. He found someone who understood him. Or well, at least actually made an effort to. He found someone to care about. He'd cared.

He spent his fifth year, knowing everything would change in the sixth. He spent his fifth year, believing that feelings could die. That fancying someone was easy to get over. He spent it believing that loving was for the weak.

She spent her fifth year, thinking everything would be fine in the sixth. She spent her fifth year, believing she was going to be okay. She spent her fifth year,

Naive.