0.1

CHAPTER ONE; WE'RE NOT FRIENDS

don't you get it, potter? we're not friends, because friends don't fucking lie to each other about childish bullshit.

song : loverman by ricky montgomery 'leaving me daft, and dim

'leaving me daft, and dim.'

KATHERINE LEAH NIGHTINGALE was the girl of a thousand names. In fact, she had so many nicknames, she wasn't even sure which to respond to anymore. Ranging from sweet slytherin, to misplaced hufflepuff, she honestly hadn't a clue who she was anymore. Perhaps, the name mudblood suited her better? Hmm, the rest of her house would certainly agree with that, actually, mudblood was the only term her housemates used when addressing her. When they even addressed her at all, that was.

She was alright, though. She didn't mind being lonely, after all - she knew who she was, and she was not afraid of standing up for herself. However, as the years at Hogwarts flew by, she did find herself saddened slightly by the fact that no one else had really taken the time to get to know her. But why would they? She was a muggleborn Slytherin. Salazar knew how many people had avoided her just for that reason alone, because they were afraid of getting wrapped up in the bullying scheme the other slytherins had against her.

[⚕]

"Nightingale, Katherine." -sounded the voice of a Professor who had introduced herself as Professor McGonagall, the head of Gryffindor house.

Leah hesitantly walked to the front, desperately attempting to ignore the whispers that followed from the other Professors after her name was spoken, she was unsure as to why they would be talking about her in the first place. She sat down in the chair, shifting uncomfortably as the Sorting Hat was placed onto her head.

"Muggleborn...yet full of power...interesting...unsure of your purpose here eh?-" She glanced at the tables in front of her, quite baffled at the amount of students and colours that could be seen with just a quick glance into the Hall.
"-don't you worry, you'll do fine. But where to put you...hmm...ah! I've got it! Better be...Slytherin!"

The lack of excitement coming from the table confused the eleven-year-old, hadn't the other houses clapped whenever someone was sorted into them? She shrugged it off rather fast though. As Professor McGonagall had said;

"Your house here will be like family."

The young, still amazed girl trusted the experienced witch, and it turned out to be the biggest mistake of her lonely, miserable life.

[⚕]

Her daily stroll through the halls was nothing short of the usual. Insults and remarks were, quite frankly a rather large part of her routine. Whether the voices called her a mudblood, orphan, or a 'lost hufflepuff', she attempted to ignore them. She no longer felt hurt by the terms, anyway, for she'd heard them far too many times. No longer did Leah feel that slight ache in her chest when someone talked about her dirty blood, no longer would her eyes well up with tears when she was cruelly reminded of the fact that she had no parents. No, in fact, she was able to just shrug it off. They were just words, she would remind herself. Just words.