Chapter 50

~Devin's POV~

Spring has passed by, but not without tears and pure sadness. I was nothing but a train wreck for the past six months. I’ve hardly eaten or slept these past six months without having nightmares or bad dreams.

Grace would stop by the apartment every now and then just to check up on me, some days I would remain immobile, not uttering a single word to anyone.

Reese and I finally got our own place.

After I found out about my mother being the the reason for Harry leaving, I disowned her. I hated her guts. She's still checked into rehab because of her recent relapse. She's tried to apologize for her outrageous mistake, but I couldn't come to terms with it to accept it. I guess that's what you get for taking away the person I loved the most in this world. The one person who I gave a damn about.

Every fucking day I walk through the halls of this damned school. I receive odd looks, stares, people whisper secrets to one another that I choose to ignore. I thought it stopped, but I was wrong in believing that it would.

I've been nothing but depressed these past six month, though I tried my hardest to conceal it. But today I will finally be free from these cinder-block gold colored walls. I'll be free from that bitch we call a principal, who has the nerve to remind me every fucking day that Harry will never return. It fucking hurts so bad. I've caved once or twice, having a drink here or there, but not without the supervision of Reese. She's been here through all of it. I mean, we live together, she has to deal with my moping day after day.

"How are you feeling?" I look into the mirror at Reese, she's already dressed into her gold cap and gown. Her hair is past her shoulders and straightened. She looks good.

"I'm okay," I promise her. As for me, my under eyes are showing through my foundation, but not too much. My newly ombréd hair is in soft curls around my shoulders. It was Grace's idea. I look way better, somewhat healthier than I did six months ago.

"Well I'll be out in the car," she says softly.

I don't know where it came from, or why I'm crying, but I am. I'm a mess, though I hope after today - something, a door maybe - will open up and show me the right path I should be taking to get over this hurt.

***

Arriving at the school, I start to get extremely anxious. I'm graduating today. We're graduating today.

The parking lot is filled with smiling parents and grandparents. I just have Reese and her parents. My mother wouldn't want to be here, she’s too busy relapsing every two seconds to care. If my dad was alive, bet your bottom dollar he'd be in the front row cheering me on like it’s a football game. American football that is. You know how crazy that gets.

"We have to meet in the senior hall," Reese tell her parents. They nod, heading into the gymnasium to find their seats. "Dude, to be honest, I'm a nervous wreck. My palms are sweaty." Panic can be heard clear as day in her voice.

"Please don't puke, we just ate spaghetti." I laugh at how this sounds like a reference to a familiar Eminem song.

"I wont, but dude... we're actually getting out of this hell hole. I hate that I’m even saying this, but I'm going to miss the mildew smelling, gold painted walls of this fine establishment." She stares at me momentarily before bursting out into full on fits of laughter. "Oh. My. God. I actually believed myself for a second. Okay, I feel better now," she breaths, fixing her cap on her head.

"You actually had me going there." I look around the school, people are piling in, our classmates are giving their family members their final kisses before they move on to the real world. "Let's go. We have to get lined up soon."