Chapter 13

~Devin's POV~

December 4th, 2002

I'm in the living room with mommy watching cartoons on our small TV. The cat is chasing after the small mouse as I giggle.

"Baby girl!" My Daddy calls from the kitchen.

"Devin Daddy called you." I look over at my mom who is sitting on the couch and smile standing up walking into the kitchen.

"There you are," my father smiles, walking over to me bending down so he's at my level.

"Hi Daddy," I giggle as he pokes my nose.

"I made you your cake do you want to see it." I nods my head quickly.

He's smiles standing from his kneeling position. Walking over to the stove grabbing the blue glass pan.

I slowly make my way over to him, as he kneels down once again. The cake is chocolate, covered in pink and white sprinkles, my name written in a light pink icing.

"Go ahead baby girl, you can have a taste , we won't tell mommy." He whispers and I nod, swiping my little index finger across the top of the cake.

I bring my finger to my mouth licking off the sweet homemade chocolate frosting. I reach for another swipe, but my father wiggles a finger at me standing back up.

"Not till tonight," he covers up the top of the cake with foil. "I can't believe your six years old Dev, your growing up on me."

Three rings, three rings of our home phone is all it took for this perfect birthday, to be not so perfect.

The army truck came by around noon, and he left ten minutes after. I stood there holding on to my white stuffed bear waving goodbye, small warm tears running down my cheeks.

Mommy was already in the kitchen with a shinny clear glass that's sparkles in the light filled with that sweet red liquid.

***

Sounds of shattering glass wakes me, making me scramble to my feet out my room and down the stairs.

My mother is in the kitchen, our white tile floors now colored a dark red, it's not blood it's wine. She searching the cabinets, for something stronger, something to numb the pain she's had all these years.

The light peaking through the curtains over the small window above the sink tells me it's nearly morning. The clock on the stove read 5:30.

"Where's my whiskey!" My mother screams throwing yet another small bottle of red wine on the floor, thankfully not breaking.

"You drank it all..." I whisper. I walk close and her head snaps turning, eyes bloodshot and glossy. I step back quickly.

"I did not  you're lying, I'm never out where's my damn whiskey!" She screams.

My eyes are burning with tears, keeping them in is no use at this point it's so hard to anymore. "M-mom I s-said you drank it all." I struggle to say, watching this troubled women, matted dark hair, glossy blue eyes, her night gown sliding from her right shoulder.

"You're lying, you're lying, you're lying!" She repeats over and over again slamming each cabinet door.

Through my tears and blurry vision I rush to my mothers side and pull her down to the ground sliding my back against the cabinets. She thrashes in my arms, groaning, screaming, scratching, tugging but I use the little strength I have this morning to keep her down.