Chapter 4

~Harry's POV~ (edited)

"Sweetie," I feel the gentle touch of my mothers hands lightly shake me, waking me from my light slumber. I turn to face her, her smile so bright it causes me to mimic hers. "I'm going to go out tonight with Rex, there's food in the fridge, I love you." Just like that my smile vanishes into thin air. I know she won't be back for days, maybe even weeks. She thinks I won't notice her prolonged absence. Oh, but I do.

She places a soft kiss to my forehead before she leaves, only to come home days later, high. She's not the mom that left.

"Harry?" I glance over to see Grace standing against the kitchen island, apron wrapped around her waist, arms across her chest. "Did you hear what I said?"

"No."

"I said your father won't be able to make it to dinner tonight. Would you like to eat out instead?"

"That man has worked since day one, does he ever take a break?" I stand up and grab my jacket from the back of the chair, slipping it on.

"He works for the government Harry, he deals with criminals. He never gets a break."

"Well, maybe if he was like me: a boring old school teacher to whom everyone hates and thinks is an ass, he wouldn't have that problem." she removes her apron from around her waist and shakes her head.

"Harold you're an excellent teacher, and your students love you even if they don't show it. Don't be so hard on yourself." her heels click against the floor as she walks over to me and wraps her arms around me, pulling me into an awkward hold. Our hugs have always been awkward - probably from about the day I turned fifteen. Her small frame versus my tall one makes her head rest just against my ribs. She pulls back, looking up at me with her dark blue eyes, her make-up and outfit always done to perfection.

"I swear every time I hug you you're an inch taller," she laughs, pulling away then walking over to grab her jacket. "What were you thinking about earlier anyways?" Oh, you know, just about how I was abandoned for days so my birth mother could get high.

I look up at her and shrug. "School, nothing too important. Let's get going to the restaurant, yeah? I'm a little short on cash and I miss your biscuits and gravy." Grace owns a small restaurant called Mama G's here in Birmingham, that was the first place she took me after the incident.

"Of course sweetie." she grabs her keys from the hook, but I quickly grab them and run out of the house, hearing her laughs from behind me.

...

"Grace, oh my God, thank God you're here!" Larissa - one of the waitresses - practically screams once we're inside. "We're short handed tonight, Jess called in sick and we are slammed as you can see... Hi Harry." she gives me a quick wave.

"Well, I suppose I could help, or we could call in the new hire?" She tells her, walking behind the bar and grabbing a stack of papers, quickly sifting through them. "Ahh, here, Devin Cavanaugh. Harry while I help out please give her a ring and tell her we need her tonight please."

The name rings a bell, but I can't quite put a face to the name. I take a seat by the bar, glancing over the information. I grab the phone the from top of the bar and dial her number. I place it to my ear, listening to it ring a few times.

"Hello?" The voice! I knew I recognized that name from somewhere. I groan, running my hands over my face. "Hello?" She repeats again. This time her voice is irritated.

"Uh...you're needed at Mama G's for the night shift, Ms. Cavanaugh."

"Oh, sure I'll be there. Thank you." She hangs up the phone and you can already tell that she didn't know it was me. I let out a small breath of relief, returning the phone to its receiver.