#1 How to Create An Effective Blurb

• Dedicated to Marilyn Byerly

I had been researching alot to find out about how to create the most effective blurbs and my serach ended when I came around this blogsite (Link Below) owned by the lovely Author Marilyn Byerly.

I read through most of her articles and they were very helpful and educative. I would encourage readers to have a look at her blogsite. Trust Me, you are going to Thank me and yourself for checking it out. Apart from her Interesting stories, there are many articles related to writing. She also organizes workshops to help new authors create better stories and make it interesting enough to leave a lasting impression on the readers.

She was kind enough to permit me to publish her article here. A big thank you to her for this.

So, Well Here goes The article about Blurbs.

4 Easy Steps To An Irresistible Book Blurb

The blurb or The back-of-book description plays a vital role in attracting your readers. A blurb is the book description you find on the back of a book or online to describe a book's contents. Most run several paragraphs, but some publishers want them shorter or in a special format so be sure to check with your publisher's guidelines before you begin work.

Blurbs are the second most important selling tool you have for your book, so you want it to grab the reader's attention.

Your novel is hundreds of pages long, but you'll need to describe it in a few short paragraphs

How to Create Blurbs basing on the Genre :

ROMANCE

For short novels, I usually use two paragraphs to describe the book, longer or more complex books three to four paragraphs. If some important point fits one paragraph better than another, don't feel as if you must follow my structure. Put it where it fits. Interior and exterior conflict, especially, can be switched.

First and second paragraph: Introduce hero and heroine and give simple plot set up. What is the interior conflict of the novel? (What tears the hero and heroine apart emotionally?) 

Third and Fourth paragraphs: What is the exterior conflict of the novel? What must both must achieve or defeat and what do they have to lose? This can include plot set up, place set up, the important secondary characters, and the villain.

ROMANTIC SUSPENSE

If some important point fits one paragraph better than another, don't feel as if you must follow my structure. Put it where it fits.

First paragraph: Simple plot set up, and main character's emotional involvement with it. What is the exterior conflict of the novel? (What are the hero and heroine fighting against and why?) The examples are from my THE GAME WE PLAY.

Second paragraph: More simple plot set up and hero's or second lead's emotional involvement with it.

Third and Fourth paragraphs: What is the interior conflict of the novel? (What tears the hero and heroine apart emotionally?) What must both must achieve or defeat and what do they have to lose? This can include plot set up, place set up, the important secondary characters, and the villain.

SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY

If some important point fits one paragraph better than another, don't feel as if you must follow my structure. Put it where it fits.

First paragraph and second paragraph: In sf and fantasy, the setting itself usually needs to be set up even before the main character.

Third and Fourth paragraphs: Simple plot set up, and the main character's emotional involvement with it. What is the exterior conflict of the novel? (What is the hero fighting against and why?) What must the main character achieve or defeat and what does he have to lose? This can include plot set up, place set up, the important secondary characters, and the villain.

Remember that novels are about people so don't emphasize the science or worldbuilding over the people unless the novel is about the science or the world.

MYSTERY AND SUSPENSE

First paragraph: Simple plot set up, and main character's emotional involvement with it. What is the exterior conflict of the novel? (What is the main character's goal and why?) 

Second paragraph: More simple plot set up and the main character's or second lead's emotional involvement with it. OR Information on the victim.

Third and Fourth paragraphs: What is the interior conflict of the novel? What must the main character achieve or defeat and what does he have to lose? This can include plot set up, place set up, the important secondary characters, and the villain.

Important Tips While Creating your Blurb :

> Make sure you focus on the problem/situation

> Indicate Solutions

> Keep it Short

> Dramatic is the word to create an impression.

I am sure with such effective and helpful tips you will be able to create great blurbs for your stories.

Again, Do check out the following link for more helpful imformations.

Link to Author Marilyn Byerly Blog : http://marilynnbyerly.com/index.html