18) Looking for a Good Critic for your Book?

Interview with Mari - Next_JK_Rowling

Details :

Name : Mari - Next_JK_Rowling

Member Since : 13 May, 2013

About Her :  She's good at writing, animation, and video editing. Her favorite color is white, favorite flavor of anything is vanilla. She thinks she is indecisive, and have a very dry sense of humor.

Her Mantra : "Aim high, Shoot higher"

Her Books :  Errand Runners, Oblivion and A Collection of Short Stories.

Interview

1)   How many books have you critiqued?

>  Oh wow. Honestly, I don't have a solid number, but if I had to guess. I'd say definitely upwards of 500.  

2) What do you look in a book while making judgements? What are the essential features a good book must carry?

> When judging a book, I look for many things. The most important thing for me is characterization, because that's what gets the reader invested in the story. You need a protagonist whom the audience can get behind, whether flawed or flawless, person or animal, good or evil. Behind characterization, I feel a good book must have a distinct voice, appropriate pacing, vivid description, and of course decent grammar and spelling. I don't expect perfection, but I'd like to be able to follow the writing without being distracted by errors, you know?  

3)  Would you lie to make Author's happy? How do you deal with Author's resentment when you said bad things about their work?

> Definitely not. Most authors have appreciated my honest critiques. I am prone to sugar-coating my criticism, but I don't lie or ignore something I feel can improve the story. After all, there's no point in being a critic if I don't criticize. Similarly, there's no point in asking for a critique if you don't expect criticism. Understandably, some authors are offended by my critiques. As a fellow author, I can relate to feeling upset upon reading a not-so-stellar review, so I try and sympathize while providing as much clarity about the critique as I can.  

4)   Which book are you reading now to critic? What do you think about that book?

> The last story I critiqued was "Raining Fire" by @DancingDryAd and I would say that it is a phenomenally written piece with an original storyline and characters who leap off the page. It’s a fantasy/adventure story, so if you enjoy those genres, I would highly recommend checking it out. I even added it to my personal reading list.  

5) Covers play and important role. Do you critic on Covers too? Who designs your covers? And, Who has the most gorgeous cover you’ve ever seen?

> Covers are highly important in attracting readers. I don't really critique covers, but if I think it's particularly spectacular, I'll definitely let the author know! I’ve seen plenty of gorgeous covers on Wattpad and while I'm not sure about my favorite of all time, the last one that really took my breath away was “Streetlamps” by @jennairhead. Another great cover is that of “Shadelings” by @overlordqueens. They’re similar in style, so I guess I’m a sucker for that type of design!  

6)  What do you consider to be your best accomplishment?

> I hate to be cliche, but truly, my greatest accomplishment is all the friends I’ve made on Wattpad. Not many people know, but I had to leave the site for personal reasons, and the support I received upon leaving and the warm welcome when returning was beyond anything I could have hoped for.

7)  Your book 'Errand Runners' is participating in Young Writer's Prize. Tell us something about your book and about the contest.

> The Young Writers Prize is contest hosted by Hot Key Books in partnership with Wattpad. It’s a wonderful opportunity for young writers to get their work out there and potentially earn a publishing deal. I entered my book, “Errand Runners,” which is about a teenager trying to raise his siblings in a dangerous city, all while being targeted for a crime he didn’t commit.  

8)  How do you develop your plot? Do you outline? If so, to what extent? How much is a surprise to you as you go?

> When I came up with Errand Runners, I wanted the storyline to have twists and turns and be convoluted. In doing so, I created a layered story with arcs similar to those found in a script. That being said, I outlined every chapter to plan what would happen when, but I left enough room to add certain things if I ever felt inspired to do so. As I was writing though, I felt like the main antagonist was a little obvious, so I decided to surprise myself and give a minor character a larger role to throw off any preconceived expectations.  

9) What is more fun, Writing or Being A Critic and Why?

> I think writing is more fun. Being able to express the creative build-up in your brain space is without question, the most entertaining thing in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, reading and critiquing is also fun. I fully enjoy immersing myself into the worlds authors create and providing feedback at the same time, but for me, there’s no beating the joy of crafting your own story.

10) What writing advice do you have for other aspiring authors?

> Never stop writing. Plain and simple. If you ever feel like you have that dreaded Writer’s Block, take a break from your current project and write something else. Write a poem or short story or even another novel. Write outside you preferred genre. Co-write with a friend. Just keep writing. Also, don’t let rankings or stats on your reads/votes control your desire to continue a story. Write for yourself and be your own biggest fan. This will help you construct a great story and earn the following it deserves.  

11) Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

I’m very lucky to have such active readers, and readers who aren’t afraid to say what they think too! I get all sorts of things from flattering praise to brutal criticism. As a writer, I know that my stories won’t be for everyone, so while I’m ecstatic when people say that my writing is great, I also understand completely when they tell me it’s total crap.  

12) Any message you want to give to the authors whose book you have critiqued?And, to your readers/followers.

> Yes! To all those who have asked for critiques, I thank you for sharing your work with me and allowing me the honor of providing you with my opinion. To my readers and/or followers, I am beyond grateful for your support. It means the world to me that you’re willing to read my work and share your thoughts with me. I extend a humble and sincere thank you for allowing me the pleasure of getting to know you as authors, readers, and friends.

Awwthentic Note :

Do read her books and give your comments and votes.

Thank you for reading. I hope you liked her interview.

Feedbacks are welcome. :)